Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voicetek
Reel Rookie

Audio, No Picture After Changing Inputs

Hello,

I'm using a Roku Streaming Stick with a Samsung TV. This problem happens just about every day, and sometimes multiple times each day. 

So here's what happens, if I turn on my TV and go directly to my Roku's input, everything works fine. However, if I watch Roku for a bit then flip my HDMI input over to a game system, play that for a while, then switch back to my Roku HDMI input, everything is messed up. The menus and images displayed on those menus look fuzzy. Then if you try to play a video from an app like YouTube or Disney+, you'll have sound but no video. What's crazy is all the menus display, but a video won't show.

The only fix for this is to remove the Roku Streaming Stick from the HDMI port, and put it back it. This forces the TV to redetect the device. After that, everything works fine. However, if I switch inputs again and try to come back to Roku, I've got fuzzy menus again, and no picture with my audio.

The whole thing is frustrating and having to do this multiple times a day is even more ridiculous. Does anyone else have this exact problem? What was the cause and what was the fix?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Audio, No Picture After Changing Inputs

I can't say that I've seen that, but I do have an old stick connected to an old Samsung TV.  That TV is pretty much dedicated to Roku viewing, so it's always on the stick's input (it may only have one HDMI input; like I said, it's old).  If your stick has a "power saving" option under Settings->System->Power, try disabling it.  The other thing I'm wondering is can you restart the stick from Settings->System or Settings->System->Power (as appropriate) instead of having to disconnect and reconnect it?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Voicetek
Reel Rookie

Re: Audio, No Picture After Changing Inputs

Unfortunately, doing a System Restart from Settings, doesn't really help. The only way I've found to fix it is to unplug it and plug it back in. I'm wondering if it isn't a problem with my TV and not the Roku. It's getting progressively worse though, which is annoying. I'd like to figure out the cause though.

0 Kudos