Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrHarrisYo

4802x Ultra wonky as time progresses. Reboot, all's well, well, until time passes...

I've had this 4802x for about 8 months now, fully updated to latest OS all the time. Nothing crazy in setup, etc.  Mostly I stream Netflix and use a bluetooth headset, both from this 4802x.  

Reboot Phase: Let's say I just rebooted the ultra. Things works great for a week or two.  Then the bluetooth headset starts to randomly disconnect.  Around this time too, playback gets hacked up, just randomly stops at some point in a show, counts up from 0% to whatever and restarts.  I have zero bandwidth issues either. Lots of headroom with FireStick running in another room just perfectly.  Bandwidth is clean (no drops - solid 20ms ICMP replies all Day long).  Then as more time goes by both issues get more frequent and playbacks eventually stop/freeze and a reboot is the only way out (GoTo Reboot Phase: above, start over).  

Basically there has to be memory leaks or similar software issues that are rather abundant. I've been around embedded systems and OS programming long enough to know bits and bytes aren't playing well together.

I hope this helps others. All I do now is wait for the first blowout, either bluetooth drop or playback fault and reboot immediately. My only pain is the minute or two it takes to restart and get back going again.  is sucks, but OS memory issues are highly unlikely to be fixed any time soon. Content development I'm sure takes the cake.  OS bugs, the crumbs.  

2 REPLIES 2
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: 4802x Ultra wonky as time progresses. Reboot, all's well, well, until time passes...

Hi @MrHarrisYo,

Greetings, and thanks for the post.

We can understand the issue you're having due to the behavior of your Roku device. Since this had been an ongoing problem on your device, we would recommend fully resetting it to resolve this issue. Kindly be advised that factory resetting your Roku device will turn your Settings into default and will require you to reactivate the device and re-authenticate your channels.

For more information about how to perform a factory reset on a Roku device, visit our Support page here: System restart or factory reset your streaming device

We hope this works, and tell us more about how it goes.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

Re: 4802x Ultra wonky as time progresses. Reboot, all's well, well, until time passes...

Rokus, like any other digital devices, need to be rebooted fairly regularly. I reboot mine at least every two days. If you’re waiting two to three weeks to do so the only wonder is how you’re not having a lot more issues than you are. 

Reboot more regularly and you’ll most likely stop seeing these issues. 😎

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos