Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bb1970er
Reel Rookie

bypassing google o/s on new Hicense TV

Jump to solution

Hello Folks - I have the Roku Express 3960X streaming stick with a 10yr old TV I'm going to replace. The new tv is a Hicense 55U6K w/ the google o/s. Does anyone know if I can bypass all the google setup stuff on the new TV and just keep using this Roku stick plugged into 1 of the HDMI ports?  The 3960X is supposedly 4K so I don't think it should result in any picture degradation.  Please share any feedback on this.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: bypassing google o/s on new Hicense TV

Jump to solution

Yes, the Roku Ultra has an Ethernet jack. Also, the Express 4K+ supports adding a 3rd party mini-USB Ethernet adapter. This support page includes the details about what models support such an adapter and some adapters Roku has tested that work. Since the adapter you have works for your Express, it would likely work with the Express 4K+ as well. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@bb1970er-

Just set your new TV to view the HDMI port to which you connect your Roku and you'll be good to go. 

I don't know about your particular set, but most will allow you to set a default input to display at start-up, either a specific input, or just continue with the one being viewed when the set was shut down.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

No, you can't "bypass" the Google TV OS, but as @makaiguy you can still connect your Roku to one of the HDMI ports and use it the same as you do now. 

The 3960 is not a Stick. There's no such think as a Express Stick. You have a basic Express, which does NOT support 4K. You need the Express 4K+ (model 3941), Ultra or one of the two 4K Streaming Stick models for 4K.  

Dan

0 Kudos
bb1970er
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks Dan - I guess I hadn't thought about this.  I see what you mean about my device not supporting full 4K as-is.  Is there any Roku device I can plug into the new TV that will yield 4K and work w/ dedicated LAN (not using WIFI)?  The current Roku thing I use I have connected thru this adapter (below link) - and this way I can hook up to dedicated LAN and not use the WIFI.  Any idea if that or something else will work to do the same for the 3941?

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M5X9795/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yes, the Roku Ultra has an Ethernet jack. Also, the Express 4K+ supports adding a 3rd party mini-USB Ethernet adapter. This support page includes the details about what models support such an adapter and some adapters Roku has tested that work. Since the adapter you have works for your Express, it would likely work with the Express 4K+ as well. 

Dan

bb1970er
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks Dan

0 Kudos
bb1970er
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I still have a doubt here - will basic menu functions of the TV work if I have never gone thru all the Google setups?  What if I want to adjust the color in the menu, etc etc?  Or even change the TV volume.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

The Google OS is still running the tv. The Roku is simply a device connected to an hdmi port. The Roku remote won’t control the tv and the tv remote won’t control the Roku. Two separate devices. The tv will still need setup when first installed. 

Dan

0 Kudos
WH3

Jump to solution

FWIW we have been long time Roku users.....but, we found our Hisense 658K displays a significantly better picture when streaming through the "built in" GoogleOS solution vs our Roku 4K stick.  I'm not a fan of the GoogleOS (but it's growing on me - especially the subscription services consolidation on the home screen) and would really prefer to use the Roku.

I'm wondering if the ROKU HDMI input, because the GoogleTV OS lays "underneath" just gets "muddied", is the reason for the significant difference in picture quality?

Thanks for any insight anyone might have!

0 Kudos