Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
auntiebunnie52
Reel Rookie

black and white picture without sound

Last week when I shut off my non-Roku tv, the Roku device was working fine.  The next day, I finally found that the Roku player had switched from video 1 to video 2.  Plus, the picture is in black and white and there is no sound.  I have tried, over the past week to follow all of the instructions on the Roku.com site that seemed to apply with no results.  I have reset everything several times, some of them more than a dozen times.  I am still looking at a silent black and white screen.  Roku says they will not support my device, so I am appealing to the community for help.  In searching topics, I did not find anything similar.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
remaker
Roku Guru

Re: black and white picture without sound

Which Roku device? Connected how? HDMI? Composite?

0 Kudos
auntiebunnie52
Reel Rookie

Roku 2 HD is connected to modem to Xfinity.  Don't know what composite means.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

That is a very old Roku model from 2011.  It can connect via composite or HDMI, and without knowing what the TV is, I don’t know for sure whether “Video 1” and “Video 2” refer to composite inputs or HDMI but I lean towards the former.  (ie: a bunch of old-style cables, one yellow, one white, one red.)

Of course, the Roku can’t pull it’s cable out of one input and stick it in another, so maybe a little more study should be put into how it “moved” from one input to another.  Maybe undoing whatever happened will fix your issue.  (ie: put the cables back as they were.)

Of course, the TV might be faulty too.  Ie: the video 1 input might have failed and you might just be getting a little bleed through from the video 1 port into video 2.  Perhaps the first thing to do is look at the TV and see where the cables are actually connected. 

0 Kudos
denhow
Roku Guru

It has been a long time since I played with component and composite connections. But I seem to recall that if you plug a yellow composite connector into a green component input you will get a black and white picture. As far as no sound goes, are the red and white audio outputs plugged into anything at all? Or is only the yellow video output connected?

remaker
Roku Guru

I agree with @denhow , sounds like the cables got switched around, 

Composite (also called RCA) is the wat older TVs are connected.

https://thecablesland.com/rca-vs-hdmi/

Make sure that the wires to the Roku are pushed in tight and snug at the back of the Roku. Pull them out and push them back in to be sure (this will reboot the unit).

Make sure that the yellow/white/red wires are plugged into the matching color ports of video 1 in the back of the TV.

0 Kudos