Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quantkhil

Roku HD stick questions ( roku devices )

So lets say I'm watching something and someone else wants to watch regular TV (so we're switching TV inputs). Do I just hit pause and wander off/sit to watch what they want? Can I just leave it like that indefinitely- even if I come back tomorrow, or hours later after forgetting about it? Should I?

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a more energy efficient thing that I should be doing? Is it wasteful to just leave it hanging?

I read that there's no power off process, and that all the power button on the controller is for is to turn on/off your tv (it has nothing to do with the Roku stick itself)...?

Also, I woke up this morning (second day of owning it) and had to unplug/replug to get it to turn on... just thought I'd throw that out there in case there's an obvious explanation/setting/whatever that a newbie wouldn't be aware of that I missed.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Roku HD stick questions ( roku devices )

Rokus don’t consume much power and many recent ones have an (optional) power saving mode where they go to sleep after a period of inactivity, so they’ll consumer even less power.  In general, I think most people would recommend returning to the home screen after watching, not just pressing pause.

There are several models labeled “Roku HD” and they all came out 10 or more years ago, so they may not have the power saving mode. (However, I don’t think that anything labeled “Roku HD” was in a stick format.  This is why we tend to prefer the 4 digit model numbers – Roku likes to reuse the same or similar names over and over.)

Next time you see your Roku as “off”, try pressing the HOME button to wake it up.  If that fails, try turning off the power saving feature.

0 Kudos