Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Wrong serial number was registered

I just got my Roku Streaming Stick 4K and connected it to my Roku account. I tried to register for the "free HDMI extender" but I was given an error message reporting that the serial number I entered was invalid!

The serial number that I entered was copied/pasted from my "Device Details" for the Roku Streaming Stick 4K I just added to my Roku account.  This is the same serial number that shows up when I go to the "System - About - System Info" section in the Roku system settings on my Stick!

I then disconnected my Roku Stick and looked at the back of it and the serial number printed on there was completely different! I entered this number in the page requesting the "free HDMI extender" and it was accepted.

I don't know what's going on with Roku, but why does my Stick have TWO different serial numbers? One that is physically printed on the back of the stick (VALID) and one that shows up in the settings (INVALID)? Roku needs to get their act together because this error just wreaks of incompetence by the people manufacturing the Rokus!

Anyone having a problem with their serial number being described as invalid make sure you disconnect your Stick from your TV and look for the serial number printed on it. I guarantee it will be different than the serial number showing up in your device settings on your Roku account. The serial number printed on the sick will be the 'valid' serial number! The serial number you are getting digitally in your account settings is junk!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Wrong serial number was registered

Hello! @Emissary35,

Thanks for the post.

We appreciate you reaching out to us about your Serial number. We're pleased to assist.

We understand that you may be confused about the serial number of your Roku device. There are two serial numbers associated with your device - one physical serial number found on the device itself or its packaging and a virtual serial number in your device's settings. 

We hope this clears up any confusion you may have had.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

I am not "confused" about anything! It is the people at Roku who are "confused" about serial numbers since they can't get it straight!

I am simply pointing out that there are two different serial numbers associated with your Roku device when there should only be one!

I'm pointing out that when entering the digital serial number to get a "free HDMI extender" you get rejected as it says your device is 'invalid' but while entering the serial number physically printed on the sick itself it gets accepted as the 'valid' number.

Roku are the ones who seem to be confused about this and it will ultimately frustrate customers because it makes zero sense to do this! Roku giving these devices two different serial numbers and only one of them is accepted as genuine is ridiculous!

My suggestion? Use ONE serial number so when you enter it it's accepted!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

One number is the "Device ID".  Why Roku needs two numbers is beyond me, although I did see an attempt at an explanation on a non-Roku webpage.  I've never seen the number that shows in the account be different from the "Serial number" displayed under Settings->System->About, but I have seen the number on the device sometimes be a "serial number" and sometimes be a "Device ID".  When it's labeled as anything on the device itself I think I've only seen "Serial number" or "SN", never "Device ID".  You can see both numbers under Settings->System->About.  This is one of those things that falls into "only Roku...".  🙄

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

"I've never seen the number that shows in the account be different from the "Serial number" displayed under Settings->System->About"

Those numbers are the same on my new Roku Stick as well. And that number does not work when trying to order the free HDMI extender and probably other things from Roku as well.

The true serial number is physically printed on the stick itself, which I had to unplug from my TV in order to manually type it in so I could order the extender. That is the TRUE serial number because that is the ONLY one that was accepted!

The 'virtual serial number' and 'physical serial number' are quite different. I don't know why both are needed but it's extremely confusing. Because when someone needs to give their Roku device serial number the first thing they will do is check their account settings for that particular device on the Roku website, or they will go to the system settings on their Roku device directly.

The number given there is treated as invalid and won't be accepted. Most people will get blocked at this point from whatever they are trying to do because Roku won't accept that virtual serial number as genuine. Then they have to waste time coming to the forum to complain about it and wait for a response, which is quite ridiculous!

Many people will not think to disconnect their Roku player and actually check the device itself for a printed serial number like I did. Because most people will assume just as I did that a serial number on the actual device would match the one I'm seeing on my player and account!

Roku really needs to address this! They should update their 'invalid virtual serial numbers' on all devices to actually match the serial numbers physically printed on the Rokus themselves! If Roku did that no matter where you check you'll get just ONE VALID serial number that is always ACCEPTED for whatever you need it for!

Please FIX THIS ROKU!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Emissary35 wrote:

The true serial number is physically printed on the stick itself, which I had to unplug from my TV in order to manually type it in so I could order the extender. That is the TRUE serial number because that is the ONLY one that was accepted!

Unfortunately, this isn't true.  You can't count on the number printed on the device to be the "true" serial number.  I've seen it both ways - it could be a serial number or it could be a Device ID,  There's no way to know.  There's no such thing as a "virtual" serial number.  Any number you see is either a serial number or a Device ID.  Why there's two I have no idea.  I suspect Roku will never fix this, because... well Roku.  I've come to expect such things from Roku.  I've thought for a long time that Roku should change their tag line from "Happy Streaming" to...  well I'll keep that to myself. 😜

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.