Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ewetwo
Channel Surfer

Will a 20 year old Samsung LED Non Roku TV work with the Roku Stick?

Jump to solution

I have a 20 year old Samsung LED TV. It doesn't have Blue Tooth or WiFi. I bought the Roku Stick to use with it. I did everything according to the directions but it wouldn't work. Just created a scrolling fuzzy picture. Is my TV too old? The store employee told me it was. But others said it should have worked.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ewetwo
Channel Surfer

Re: Will a 20 year old Samsung LED Non Roku TV work with the Roku Stick?

Jump to solution

I went and bought the $17 Roku stick and it works. I must have done something wrong the last time I tried. Now to expire to see what's on it. Was hoping to find the TCM channel someplace.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

How is it connected?  20 years ago would be right around the time HDMI came out.  What resolutions does it support?  I’m guessing a TV of that vintage would only support 1080i, and Rokus only support 1080p.  I think Rokus are sometimes confused by this and send 1080p to a 1080i TV.  Try setting the Roku to 720p, which the TV is more likely to be able to do.  (TV’s from that era are usually around ~1366x768 pixel panels anyway, even when they claim 1080i.)

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Ewetwo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's a Samsung 55 inch 6000 Series LED TV. Model UN55D6000SFXZA. According the specs. It is 1080p HD. Auto Motion Plus 120Hz. 4 HDMI connections. It has Wide Color Enhancer Plus I cable connection. 3 USB plugs. It has ANYNET. AllShare DLNA Networking. But no bluetooth or wifi. 

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

As long as it has HDMI, it should work. A Google search shows it is from 2011. It is an early Smart TV, although like my 2010 Sony, the built-in streaming is probably useless.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752842-REG/Samsung_UN55D6000SFXZA_UN55D6000_55_LED_TV.html/ov... 

Not sure why you are having problems. Have you tried different HDMI ports?

Ewetwo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I bought the ROKU Stick. Plugged it in and had the rolling static that kind of showed a channel. On each HDMI. It streams YouTube ad Netflixs fine. I now have Spectrum Cable and it streams from that also. Maybe a bad Roku stick? I'll buy another one today. Thank you for your responses. You are very helpful. 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Thanks for the model number! Yes, the difference between a 2003 TV and a 2011 TV is huge!  I would fully expect a 2011 Samsung to be fine with Roku. My 2009 Samsung TV is fine. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
Ewetwo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I went and bought the $17 Roku stick and it works. I must have done something wrong the last time I tried. Now to expire to see what's on it. Was hoping to find the TCM channel someplace.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.