Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris-K
Streaming Star

What is this question trying to achieve?

I don't understand this question, of course I can hear music which has nothing to do with a remote control, but if I press yes it tries another code?????? so I'm not quite sure what it's trying to achieve? Any advice greatly received

IMG_20221118_134231.jpg

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: What is this question trying to achieve?

It’s trying to find the right code.  Of course, if your sound is not being produced by your TV (or a TV that is successfully controlling an AVR via HDMI-CEC), then it might not be a question that matters to you.  For example, if you have Roku -> HDMI Extractor -> TV & receiver, then the music will never stop.  But in the most common configuration of Roku -> TV, it will. (Assuming it ever finds a code for your TV.)

0 Kudos
Chris-K
Streaming Star

Nope. I don't get it

"It’s trying to find the right [remote control] code."

Precisely! No amount of sound output going to determine that!?

It plays a tune, doesn't ask you to use the remote and instead asks you if you can hear it? If you can, then it's deemed to have *failed* and tries another code?? 

Rinse and repeat until all codes are exhausted and it deems the test has totally *failed*

But remote works perfectly???

Bizarre

I don't get it?????

Is it not testing for remote settings but testing for sound output?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Chris-K 

As @Strega indicated, the sound playing is for the remote control configuring itself behind the scenes since related to volume/mute codes.  If the music is playing and you can hear it, Roku has enabled sound (volume controls).  When asked later if you can still hear sound, Roku has attempted to mute sound (again, by either lowering or muting sound with codes).  If successful, then Roku concludes the appropriate codes were discovered.

In order to visualize it...

1. The TV has no sound.

2. Roku attempts a remote code.  If you can hear music then Roku successfully programmed volume keys/mute off.  If no music heard, Roku attempts more codes until you hear sound.

3. Are you still hearing music question?  Roku is attempting to mute sound.  If sounds goes away, Roku successfully found this code for volume keys/mute on.  If not, keeps searching.

-----

The code searching is not perfect.  For some Roku remotes to work with certain TVs you even have to lie to it and say you hear sound when you don't (and vice-versa) for the remote to work properly.  If yours is working properly, I wouldn't worry about it and consider it just one of the random Roku quirks.  The end goal is to get the remote working, so wouldn't focus too much on how it gets there.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

When you say the remote works perfectly, does it successfully change TV volume, and turn the TV off and on?  If so, I suppose it’s possible that as a “fail safe” they program the most common code for the brand of TV in the case that the user says they could always hear the music.  But then I would have expected the music to stop…  most likely on the first try.

Unless, of course, you do have a more complex setup like I described before where your audio is not controlled by the TV.  In that case, they might have gotten the TV power right, even though nothing ever happened with the audio.

0 Kudos
Chris-K
Streaming Star

"Roku attempts a remote code.  If you can hear music then Roku successfully programmed volume keys/mute off.  If no music heard, Roku attempts more codes until you hear sound"

That's not what's happening in my case, it asks if you can hear the music if you press yes, it find another code, repeat and rinse until it's exhausted all the codes, then is deemed failed, if you press no you can't hear the music, then it just totally abandons the process.

???? Weird

No matter which you choose, it's a fail

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

If it's a fail then it can't find the right code to work with your TV and you won't be able to control/mute the volume with your Roku remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos