Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coffeeguy

What do I need for a Roku Streaming Stick to work in Britian?

Jump to solution

My son travels to Britain every summer and I thought it would be nice to give him a Roku Stick for his travels. He has adapter for plugging his Iphone in to charge, is that enough? Will the United States Roku Stick work in Britain, and if it does do I need anything special for it to work? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What do I need for a Roku Streaming Stick to work in Britian?

Jump to solution

@coffeeguy-@

A Roku will work anywhere, regardless of where it was purchased, but the channels it can get when out of the region in which it was originally set up may be limited.  For best compatibility with channels in other countries it is best to link the Roku to a Roku account created while in that country. If you link it to a US-based account he may not be able to access British channels unless those channels are authorized for US distribution.

If the Roku was already set up and linked in the US, when he gets to Britain he should perform a factory reset and set it up again as a new unit, creating and linking to a new account (using a different email address than before) in the process.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @coffeeguy 

Thank you for posting here at the Roku Community!

We'd be more than happy to assist you with your query.

Yes, our Roku streaming stick is accessible in Britain. However, it should be connected directly to a TV and through a power source for it to work.

In addition, it needs to be connected to a strong network connection for you to be able to stream. 

Here's our Support link to help you set up your Roku streaming stick: How to set up your Roku Streaming Stick 4K

If you need further clarification and assistance, let us know, and we'd be more than willing to continue doing so.

All the best,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@coffeeguy-@

A Roku will work anywhere, regardless of where it was purchased, but the channels it can get when out of the region in which it was originally set up may be limited.  For best compatibility with channels in other countries it is best to link the Roku to a Roku account created while in that country. If you link it to a US-based account he may not be able to access British channels unless those channels are authorized for US distribution.

If the Roku was already set up and linked in the US, when he gets to Britain he should perform a factory reset and set it up again as a new unit, creating and linking to a new account (using a different email address than before) in the process.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.