Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eden2

What Roku device do I get for a non smart tv with no remote?

Jump to solution

Hi there! In the past 5 years, I have always had smart TVs with built in roku. I was gifted a basic flat screen tv for my daughter’s room and need recommendations.

It did not come with a remote, and the basic ROKU Express device states “simple remote” so I am unsure if this remote would power on/off the tv and adjust volume or not?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: What Roku device do I get for a non smart tv with no remote?

Jump to solution

Hey @eden2 

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thank you for reaching us regarding an inquiry about your remote, and we'd love to assist you. 

To set-up your remote to control your TV, check out this article: How to set up your Roku® voice remote to control your TV

If there is anything that we can further assist, let us know!

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @eden2 

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thank you for reaching us regarding an inquiry about your remote, and we'd love to assist you. 

To set-up your remote to control your TV, check out this article: How to set up your Roku® voice remote to control your TV

If there is anything that we can further assist, let us know!

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@eden2 no, the remote included with the Express will not control the TV. Even the better remotes with TV power and volume cannot "control" the TV for any TV related functions, so no way to tune an over the air station or adjust any of the TV's internal settings. For that you're going to need a true TV remote. Fortunately, you can buy very simple and inexpensive generic IR remotes, often for less than $10. Just make sure the TV is listed as a supported brand on the remote packaging.

Back to your request for a device suggestion: I don't recommend the basis Express to anyone. It just doesn't cost that much more to get a much more capable player. The Express 4K+ is a vast improvement for only $15 more. And the Streaming Stick 4K is the same price ($39.99). Unless your TV supports Dolby Vision (highly doubtful) I recommend the Express 4K+. It does come with a remote that will power your TV on/off and control the TV volume. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.