Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Was there a recent update that caused problem for 4K Sticks?

@BruceRPA-

A bunch of people who say their normal Roku software checks indicated they were up to date have reported that the separate "secret menu" remote firmware update procedure outlined earlier fixed their problem. 

Interestingly, the remote firmware version reported before and after the update is reported not to have been changed  (Settings > Remotes and devices > Remotes > [select remote if more than one] > About)

Again, I've not experienced the problem with two Voice Remotes and one Voice Remote Pro.  All I can do is report what others have said worked for them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
BruceRPA
Streaming Star

Ahhh!  They did reply with this incredibly helpful information.  No solution, just a typical customer disservice misdirection to go away and start over again.   It’s as if this is a game of Monopoly:  “Go directly to jail; do not pass go, do not collect $200".  Sheesh!  

The reply that I received Via Email was:
”This is a follow-up email regarding your recent conversation with our chat Support.  Unfortunately, the chat got disconnected.  Please reach our Chat Support if you are still having the same issue and if you need any other assistance.  We will be glad to help you.

Regards,

Roku Customer Support”

Gee, what great supp

As to the help and support that I am receiving HERE, I sincerely DO appreciate the help.  It is far better than   Anything that ROKU chat support is doing — or NOT doing!  And, I have to think that the help that I am receiving here is from volunteer community members.  Again, Thank you all.  I do appreciate your time and efforts to help me resolve the problems that I am having with my ROKU 4K+ sticks.  

0 Kudos
BruceRPA
Streaming Star

I tried the update procedure Via the secret menu as you suggested.  Unfortunately, no joy.  

Thank you.

0 Kudos
BruceRPA
Streaming Star

I mentioned my growing frustration with ROKUs customer service, or lack thereof.  I have to mention the contrast between ROKU and another unrelated product or service that I just had to request customer support for an unexpected problem.  The other company provided customer service Via a return phone call within five minutes of me submitting a request on the website. I spoke with a VERY knowledgeable agent that listened carefully and was able to resolve my problem within ten minutes on that same phone call.  That company understands how important customer service is to their success. When a customer has a problem and they receive excellent customer service, the problem becomes a positive experience.  It builds confidence and encourages loyalty to the brand.  On the other hand, like ROKU, just the opposite is also true. Happy customers tell a friend about their experience.  Unhappy customers tell ALL their friends. 

As much as I like the product so far (at least the ULTRAs), I am very disappointed in ROKU as a company for their appalling lack of interest in providing service to their customers. 

BruceRPA
Streaming Star

Well, the update to my last post of three weeks ago is — absolutely nothing.  

ROKU commitment to supporting their customers is nonexistent.  Worse yet, they have not done anything that they said that they would do so I have to think that their non-response is intentional.  How on earth ROKU, or any company, thinks that avoiding problems and turning their back on customers is beneficial to them is something that I will never understand.  When a customer has a problem and the company steps up to resolve it, especially above and beyond expectations, they turn a negative situation into a positive situation.  Those customers become the strongest and loudest supporters of the brand.  Just the opposite is also true, as is the case here.

I wish that I had know that before I committed to the ROKU platform and purchased six of their products.  Its too bad too, because I rather like how the others are working so far, but they certainly have taken the joy out of our new relationship.  Alas, it’s not too late for me. I have made bigger mistakes in my life, and have learned valuable lessons from each one of them, that have cost me more than $500 or $600.  Its not too late to switch to one of their competitors.  It is a shame to being coerced into doing to do so however.   

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hello @BruceRPA

Thanks for your post. 

We apologize to hear this has been your experience. Please be advised that we are currently aware of the issue and our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely. And we have passed along your details to the Roku team for further investigation.

We prioritize resolving this as soon as possible, and we ask that you bear with us as we manage this issue.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
laknox
Binge Watcher

I did the "secret menu" update to my 3 and Ultra remotes, and, after 24 hours, it seems to be working for me.  I posted the steps to do this in a separate post, but the mods deleted that post and put in the "official" steps to do an update, which we already know don't work.

I'd started a new thread as I was having issues with my boxes as opposed to your sticks, though you'd ass-u-me the hardware and software would basically be the same.

FWIW, my daughter and son-in-law are having the same issue with their boxes, though they've lost about 4 or 5 different functions, not just volume control.

Lyle

0 Kudos
BruceRPA
Streaming Star

One of my two 4K+ sticks seems to be working now. The four Ultras and the working 4K+ sticks do seem to be unstable occasionally and have to be restarted approximately twice per week.  It’s not a WiFi problem.  Three of the four Ultras are connected via Ethernet to my very robust local area network. Internet service is also robust and stable.  

My issue started two and a half months ago.  I have heard nothing but deflections, delays, and nonsense from ROKU Support.  They are doing one **bleep** of a job!  I have to think that the responses that I have received are actually from poorly programmed BOTS using poorly scripted responses in broken English.  I am growing increasingly dissatisfied with ROKU because of the problems but mostly because of their HORRIBLE non-existent support for customers that have problems.  

0 Kudos
laknox
Binge Watcher

Here's the link to my thread: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes/Roku-3-and-Roku-Ultra-both-losing-functions/m-p/877578/highlig...

I'd replied to myself shortly after the original post and included the instructions to access the "secret menu".  That post was taken down some time after that and the post from "Arjiemar" popped up at that time.

Lyle

0 Kudos
MG121
Reel Rookie

I’m having a similar issue. It usually involves the volume buttons not working but last night it was the rewind/play-pause/forward

with all occurrences (volume buttons & last night’s rewind/play-pause/forward) the “fix” seemed to be hitting a different button. The other button works & then magically the problematic buttons start working again

when volume isn’t working I hit rewind or pause & magically the volume starts working again

last night when rewind/pause-play/forward didn’t work I eventually hit the home button & went back to the program to find all buttons working again

I AM WRITING THIS FOR THE ENGINEERS TO HAVE MORE INFORMATION TO FIND A REAL SOLUTION. THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION. THIS IS A TEMPORARY WORK AROUND

PLEASE FIND A REAL SOLUTION 

0 Kudos