Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shirleywoff
Channel Surfer

Trying to convert an old television to Roku capability

I am trying to convert a 2006 zenith portable TV to HDMI and Roku capability. I have connected the cables (red white yellow cords), the Roku has been connected and the blue light is on. The TV is working, but I cannot get it to sync with the Roku device. Help!

0 Kudos
35 REPLIES 35
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Trying to convert an old television to Roku capability

Could you tell us more?  For example, are you using an old model Roku, or are you using a recent roku with some conversion device?  Can you list all the device models in use?  And could you describe “sync”?  ie: are you seeing a picture but the horizontal or vertical hold is not locked on, or something else?

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@shirleywoff 

What is the model number of the TV, and what is the model number of the Roku device you are trying to use.

Most likely, if you are using on the newer Roku device models, you will need a HDMI to AV converter like this one, just as an example. (Amazon link, HDMI to AV converter)

Generally, adapters will not work, needs to be a (signal) converter, and need to pay attention to the direction of signal.  The converter needs to be HDMI to RCA, not RCA to HDMI.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

shirleywoff
Channel Surfer

It is a 2006 Zenith Model RM-20LA70 Rev A, and a new ROKU Express device. I connected (from Amazon) a “Dingsun HDMI to RCA Converter HDMI to AV Adapter HDMI to Older TV”

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GRXDZCF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The tv is just static

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@shirleywoff 

Here is the user manual for your TV. 

https://cdn4.all-guidesbox.com/download/054a21d1e6389263d96585bccc1e8abd.html

-----

Refer to pages 12-15.  Basically, says to press the tv/video button on the remote to select the appropriate input (component).  If you are getting static, you are likely on the antenna input.  You will need to cycle through the inputs using the tv/video button on the Zenith tv remote until you see the Roku Home Screen. (or, if the Roku is not yet setup, you will see the Roku Welcome Screen).

shirleywoff
Channel Surfer

It is a Cisco remote with no “source” capabilityEE7D0C77-5B04-465D-BF87-19EC4A127B4C.jpeg

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@shirleywoff 

From page 6 of that manual, there should be a physical TV/Video button on right side of TV (2nd from bottom) that will allow you to toggle between inputs.

You may need to restart the Roku again in order for it to appear.

shirleyTV.png

shirleywoff
Channel Surfer

I was trying to do that. When I Tago, all I get is “Component” and “Video” and “S-Video”. I restarted the ROKU…..👎🏼

0 Kudos
shirleywoff
Channel Surfer

* toggle (not Tago)

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@shirleywoff 

The S-Video requires a S-Video cable which your converter does not have, so you can eliminate that one.

Normally, the red and white cables are for audio, and the yellow is for video.  (Need to plug them in the right ports).  Plug these cables into the "External Equipment" ports on the back of the TV. (Located right between the S-Video and the VGA/PC port on the back of this TV.  Then toggle to the Video input with the button on the TV.

If this does not work, try going back to the static (tv input), placing it on either channel 3, or channel 4 and then selecting the Video input again. (should not have to do this, though).

Just verify that you have not plugged the RCA cables (red, white, yellow) into the "Component" ports.  These are the ports on the far left of the TV looking at it from the rear.

shirleyTV2.png