Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gary-kc
Channel Surfer

Surround sound compatibility with older tv and receiver with no hdmi

Helping a friend setting up their surround sound.  Their tv and receiver are quite old and do not have HDMI connections.  They get their tv thru streaming using Roku 2 via wi-fi.  Is there any way to hook up surround sound ?  Previously they had directv and connected to receiver and tv using rca cables. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Surround sound compatibility with older tv and receiver with no hdmi

So, he had somewhere around 4-8 audio cables before?  I believe Rokus have had just right and left analog cables and have relied on optical or HDMI to do many-channel audio.

He might be better off adding an HDMI audio extractor, possibly along with a more modern Roku.  Caveat – extractors with many analog outputs are kind of rare too, but here’s an example that I searched up: 

https://www.amazon.com/ATNEDCVH-Separator-Extractor-Compatible-Surround/dp/B0B6834NGR

He might consider a modern AVR as well.  In 2008, I pulled out an old receiver – 20-30 years old – and replaced it with an HDMI AVR and I removed an unbelievable collection of old wiring and made my whole AV system so much simpler.

0 Kudos