Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Twill3612
Reel Rookie

Roku not showing local programming

About two weeks ago, my NBC, ABC, and CBS apps stopped showing my local Vermont programming and started showing Boston programming. I use the apps and use a cable provider login to access programming (I myself don’t pay for cable so I can’t just watch cable). I have had the tv for 5 years and I’ve always been able to watch local programming even when I moved away. I saw a similar post about this that was from a few years ago and others experiencing the same issue but there was no solution in the responses. I spent about an hour on chat with Roku support, the first person was useless and said “change is constant” and suggested there could’ve been an update that removed the ability to watch local programming. The second chat person was helpful but none of the things we tried were helpful, even a factory reset on the tv. They suggested it was likely a WiFi/IP address issue at that point, and my WiFi provider even sent me a new modem that I just set up tonight and it STILL didn’t solve the issue. I have logged out of my Roku account and tried another account and still had no success. Short of buying a new tv or buying a Roku stick, does anyone have any suggestions if they’ve experienced this? #roku #NBC #localstreaming

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku not showing local programming

@Twill3612-

Saying you "use the apps" to access local broadcast stations doesn't tell us much.  WHICH apps??

Roku devices have no provisions for receiving live over-the-air broadcasts. (Roku TVs with Roku capability built in DO have antenna inputs for this purpose.)  So any network programming received on a Roku device must be streamed via a streaming app.

Some channel apps determine your location by the IP number assigned to you by your internet provider. If your internet provider assigns or changes your IP number to one attached to one of its servers located in a different area, that could change the local stations you are provided.

You can use an IP info website like the ones listed below to see where the IP number currently assigned by your internet provider indicates you are located. If this doesn't represent your actual area, you can contact your internet provider and ask to be reassigned an IP in your area.

I'd suggest you try several of these, as this seems to be an imprecise science and their results do vary, so you never know how accurate the channel's location check is.g.

Some IP info websites:
https://www.iplocation.net/
https://www.iplocation.com/
https://tools.keycdn.com/geo
https://www.ipfingerprints.com/
A web search for "IP Location" can find many more.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Twill3612
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku not showing local programming

@makaiguy 

The apps I listed are the ones that have been showing incorrect programming - NBC, ABC, and CBS through Paramount+. Pretty much any channel I have an app for on my tv and a login to stream their live content with a cable provider login. I tried all of the links you posted and they all said different locations, only one had my actual location. Unfortunately I don’t know what location the IP address said before this started happening a few weeks ago, so I can’t say if that changed. I don’t know much about how the IP addresses work - my internet provider sent me a new modem and that didn’t fix the problem. They can change my IP address location on their own??

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.