Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kd082948

Roku internet signal strength is excellent, Roku download speed is poor

Using Roku Express 4K. When using at East end of house, the download speed is 200 MB. When using at West end of house, the download speed is 2 MB. The Internet signal strength shows excellent throughout the house. I have rebooted the modem, the router, the Roku - with no improvement. Please help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Roku internet signal strength is excellent, Roku download speed is poor

A variety of possibilities. First, I find it a little suspicious that you get the same(ish) signal reading in such different parts of the house. I suppose one explanation is that the router is dead-center of the house (good). However, another reason could be extenders/repeaters. One thing about extenders/repeaters though is that they’ll always give high signal strength but will frequently reduce bandwidth – sometimes by a lot.

Also, if you’re using a combined network (ie: one SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz) then "excellent" may not be the same excellent as they could be on different bands.

And you could have neighbors on the bad side of the house who are using the same Wi-Fi channel. Your signal may be at an excellent level, but so might theirs. Around here I've noticed that some ISP installers are pretty lazy/cheap and install routers where the cable comes in - meaning their neighbors get about half of the Wi-Fi signal.

Or, at the bad end, there could be some RF noise of another sort.

Of course, I guess this could also mean that the terms like “excellent” are not very precise.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.