Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makeitwork1
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra with an older HD plasma TV with 1080i resolution

Can you explain in more detail what connection you enabled and how you did it?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra with an older HD plasma TV with 1080i resolution

@makeitwork1 this thread is more than a year old, and might have outdated information. What exact issue are you having, and what is the model number of your Roku (Settings/System/Information)?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
bjtalbot1
Channel Surfer

Sorry, it's been so long that I don't remember the details. I only remember that the second  converter device I tried did work, well enough. I'm still using it.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @bjtalbot1

Thanks for getting in touch with us here at Roku.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern?

Please keep us posted with the details.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
makeitwork1
Reel Rookie

I have a Sony Grand Vega LCD Projection HD-TV, model number KDF-42WE655... that will take 1080i resolution input.  I'm trying to use it with a ROKU 4, Model #4400X.

We had it working using an EASYCEL HDMI to S-Video RCAConverter.  I did this set-up because I didn't notice that there was a HDMI connector in the back of the TV.

We then moved the TV to another room... and I saw the HDMI input connector, so I connected the TV to the ROKU4.  It doesn't see a signal when I connect the ROKU 4 to the TV.  I cannot get a signal when using the converter either... but I think I may have damaged the converter.

I read that ROKU does not support 1080i -- is that true?

I just called Sony, and they said I should be able to connect the ROKU or any streaming device directly to the HDMI connector and it should work.  I plan on trying it again, attaching the connections in a particular sequence... and turning both the TV and the ROKU in the suggested order.

Thank you for your help.

AvsGunnar

@makeitwork1 

From an older posting in the Community, looks like some Roku devices supported 1080i, but the Roku 4 (4400) does not support 1080i output. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20201112004140/https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=109961

-----

If cycling through the Sony HDMI inputs does not produce a signal, then try Factory Resetting the Roku 4400 and during setup, do not use "Auto Detect" for your Display Setting, but try manually selecting 720p.  (Make sure you have a working Roku remote before performing factory reset of any Roku device).

If your converter is still having issues, perhaps consider replacing its power adapter.

-----

Maybe the TV simply just switched inputs during the moving of the TV.  Use the Sony Remote and carefully/slowly cycle through the Source/Inputs and see if the converter becomes visible.  Also, if you have another TV available to you (instead of the above factory reset), try taking the Roku 4400 device to it and change the Display Settings there. (Settings/Display/720p).  Then take the Roku 4400 back to the Sony and plug into the HDMI port.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
makeitwork1
Reel Rookie

Thank you very much for your reply/post.  I probably will stop wasting my time on this.  I think I can get it to work, but in the long run, it's probably not worth it.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@makeitwork1 

The 4400 just made it onto Roku's legacy device list, so 11.5 was the last OS update it was going to be able to receive anyways.  (depending on what you watch, this may or may not have affected you much either way for a bit longer.).

Perhaps just look into the new offerings that Roku has listed on their website and see if they work into your budget.  You can also get them at Walmart, Best Buy, Target, etc.

https://www.roku.com/products/players

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos