Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RSoldin

Roku Ultra connecting antenna

Jump to solution

I have a couple Roku tv’s and was hoping that my new Samsung tv would be able to use the great ‘live tv’ antenna feature through my Roku Ultra box. Finding out that I still have to use the TV for the antenna connection was disappointing. 

I was investigating the hookup’s for the Ultra and noticed the only thing not being used is the USB. I looked up to see if there is an antenna to usb adapter and found there is. Before I buy one of these adapters does anyone know if the ultra will pickup the signal from the usb port?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra connecting antenna

Jump to solution

@RSoldin 

The built-in USB port on the Roku Ultra models (and ability to use OTG USB adapters with other models) is for connecting USB thumbdrives (and larger physical hard drives) for playing videos, audio, and images from your Roku to your TV.

The USB on your RokuTVs  can be used for the same thing (as well as for the live tv Pause feature) as the Roku device USB.

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908 (How to use Roku Media Player to play your videos, music and photos).

---

As @mop_891 already indicated correctly, Roku devices lack the necessary antenna tuner hardware.  Only an actual RokuTV provides both the Roku OS and a tuner.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mop_891
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RSoldin 

Quick answer no. Impossible to receive over the air TV with a ROKU steaming device. It has no tuner.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@RSoldin 

The built-in USB port on the Roku Ultra models (and ability to use OTG USB adapters with other models) is for connecting USB thumbdrives (and larger physical hard drives) for playing videos, audio, and images from your Roku to your TV.

The USB on your RokuTVs  can be used for the same thing (as well as for the live tv Pause feature) as the Roku device USB.

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908 (How to use Roku Media Player to play your videos, music and photos).

---

As @mop_891 already indicated correctly, Roku devices lack the necessary antenna tuner hardware.  Only an actual RokuTV provides both the Roku OS and a tuner.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102