Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BNiemeier

Roku TVs won’t play after power outage

We had a brief power outage two days ago. Ever since, our 2 TCL Roku TVs and our Roku Express device (connected to our Sony TV) won’t work. They all have the same problem…

The TV turns on as normal. When we select a channel, it tries to load it, and it eventually says it won’t connect, check the internet connection, etc. 

On one TCL and on the Roku express, we checked the internet connection… it’s “excellent.”  We disconnected and reconnected our WiFi. Wireless connection is good. Internet connection is good.
We restarted (completely unplugged) our internet service/modems and reconnected.
We did system restarts. 
When we reconnect to the internet, it tries to install updates, but Error 003 appears. We’ve retried several times over several hours. Same message. And still the same problems. 

On the Roku Express, we did a factory restart (pushed the tiny hole with a straightened paperclip). It went through the setup and connected to the internet, good connection, good internet. But it won’t get past the internet setup screen, because when it tries to install an update, the error screen appears. The first error message after the factory reset said that it couldn’t install updates (it only stayed on a few seconds… didn’t get the error number). Afterward, every time we go through connecting to the internet, it again shows error 003 every time. And now we can’t even get back to the home screen since we’ve done the factory reset. 

I tried to connect the TVs to my phone’s hotspot, but we don’t get good cell service at my house, so it won’t work at all. All other devices connect to my internet/WiFi with no problem at all. 

I can play all my channels (including the Roku channel) on my phone (connected to the same internet the TV is connected to). With the Roku app, I tried to send a Roku show to the TVs from the app, and it says “Loading Channel,” but nothing ever happens. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku TVs won’t play after power outage

Hello @BNiemeier

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

For your Express device, please note that this is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz network. In order for the device to connect, confirm that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network.

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting your Roku TVs to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, or plugging the TV through a wired connection?

To help troubleshoot the issue further, follow this link:

How to connect your Roku® streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet 
How to improve the Wi-Fi® or wireless internet connection to your Roku® streaming device
Check your network connection 

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Postwick
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku TVs won’t play after power outage

This is a widely reported issue and has been for years. Quit spewing the same useless canned reply, quit blaming people's networks or routers, and PAY ATTENTION. The Roku software can't handle when the wifi channel changes.