Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cdavis0812

Remote not working with setup

We just unboxed a Roku SE. I got to the enter email screen and the remote has stopped functioning.  The light on the box will not blink when buttons are pressed. Changed batteries numerous times. Nothing has helped.  

Tried resetting the box and are now just stuck on the let's get started page.  

How do I get this remote to work?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote not working with setup

@Cdavis0812 

The Roku SE model 3930 came with an infrared remote. That means you need a clear line of sight between the end of the remote and the IR sensor on the Roku device.

You should be able to view the remote through the camera on your phone, and detect when the buttons are pressed. If not, the remote isn't working. If you do see a light, the remote is working, and it could be the Roku, or something blocking the Roku sensor from seeing the remote.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Cdavis0812

Thank you.  We were standing right at the tv next to the roku, so nothing blocking the signal.

Checking with my phone, there is no light. So it seems the remote is not working

Frustrating problem 2 minutes after taking it out of the box....

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Cdavis0812 

Before you take it back, or however you would return it, double check the battery setup. On some remotes, both batteries face the same way, and in some, they face in opposite ways. Unless something like that happened, then you probably have a bad remote.

You could pick up a cheap universal remote from Walmart, Family Dollar, CVS, Walgreens, Best Buy, or a slew of other places, as long as it lists Roku as a supported brand. Or, return the device.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
renojim

In addition to what @DBDukes said, make sure you try new batteries.  The batteries that come with these things are often not very good.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Streamer317
Roku Guru

The SE is an older budget model. I imagine you bought it off Amazon. Was it refurbished? 

0 Kudos