Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Playing audio through home stereo system

But you still haven't described how your equipment connections are laid out. Does the Roku connect to the TV or to the AVR?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Lad1
Channel Surfer

What's an AVR? It's connected to the television HMI outlet I don't have a outlet or output that says AVR.

0 Kudos
Lad1
Channel Surfer

I found the AVR connector,it is hidden under the television.now that I have found it what's the next step to have the theater connected to the koku?

0 Kudos
atc98092

AVR stands for Audio Video Receiver. It refers to any amplifier/receiver that includes HDMI input/output connections, and generally supports all the lossless audio codecs (Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio). Many support Atmos/DTS:X height channels. 

If you are using an AVR, the best way to connect all of your equipment is to connect them all to the AVR, then run a single HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV. If your TV support ARC (Audio Return Channel), one of it's HDMI inputs will be labeled as such, and any audio from the TV will be sent back to the AVR over the HDMI connection, so no additional cable needed for TV sound. 

Some soundbars also include HDMI input/output connections, and you would connect the same way as an AVR. If the soundbar doesn't have enough input connections, then connect some devices directly to the TV. 

Some have what is referred to as a Home Theater in a Box, in that it has a Blu Ray player and the audio amps required to power a 5.1 speaker system within the same box. They come with speakers that have a color coded connector on the end to connect to the main box These generally don't have any video inputs, so you can't connect something like a Roku directly to them. I don't care for things like this because of that limitation. 

Dan

0 Kudos
dkqc
Channel Surfer

I have a Roku Express, a newer "smart" TV and an old Sony receiver.  I have tried everything, but I just can't get sound out of the two back surround speakers.  I have tried a cord to adapt the sound from the headphones jack on the TV to a red and white RCA audio cable into the receiver. I have tried an optical wire from the TV to the receiver. I have adjusted the receiver settings, my Roku audio settings (including turning off night mode), and my TV's audio settings, but nothing seems to make a difference. I am now thinking I need some kind of audio converter to hook the Roku Express (HDMI output) directly to the receiver (without HDMI input), something like this.  Then I would probably need a cable to get the video out from the receiver to the TV?  Any other suggestions?  I'm tearing my hair out at this point. 

https://www.amazon.ca/LiNKFOR-Component-Converter-Adapter-recorders/dp/B07PMGBVV8/ref=pd_bxgy_img_1/...

0 Kudos
atc98092

Unfortunately, there are TVs that will not pass 5.1 audio from external devices out via optical. And using the analog outputs (red/white cables) will only pass 2 channel stereo. I believe you are correct that the only way to get 5.1 from your Roku is connecting its audio directly to the receiver. While there are audio extractors that can do that, you really might consider replacing the receiver with one that has HDMI inputs. Probably the biggest reason is that most online providers now use Dolby Digital Plus (EAC-3) as their 5.1 audio, and odds are very high your current receiver doesn't support that codec. In that case, you're not going to get 5.1 at all, unless the HDMI audio extractor is capable of converting DD+ to DD. I am not aware of any extractor that can do that, but it's not something that I've ever looked for, either. 

Dan

dkqc
Channel Surfer

@atc98092 Very helpful. I'll head out this afternoon to get a more recent receiver and try to sell my old Sony to someone who can use it. I just hate sending things to the dump.  Not sure how to "Accept as Solution". I don't see a button if you can send me a screenshot as to how to do that, I'd be happy to.  I gave you a Kudo though, and I'll say thank you here!

0 Kudos
atc98092

@dkqc only the original poster can mark an answer as a solution, so don't worry about it. 🙂

Dan

dkqc
Channel Surfer

@atc98092 Just to be sure, in case the staff at the store aren't very knowledgeable, I will also need to connect the receiver to the TV.  So the receiver needs an HDMI input port (to receive both the audio and the visual from the Roku) AND also and output HDMI port to send the video to the TV? Or a would a traditional cable hookup be better between the receiver and the TV?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Any AVR with HDMI inputs will also have an HDMI output. Often they have two, to feed a second zone. I would just ensure that the one you're considering supports DD+/EAC-3. I'm pretty sure virtually any new one does, but you want to make sure. 

Just don't forget you'll need another HDMI cable to connect between the AVR and the TV. 

Dan