Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Playing audio through home stereo system

Wow, great find! Wonder why it never came up in my search?

Anyway, here's what I see on the rear panel. Yes, it absolutely has two optical digital outputs. Those are the two at the very top of the stack, labeled MD-Tape and CD-R. Since both of those formats are capable of recording, it makes sense having an output for them. 

But the remaining optical ports that continue down are all inputs. There are four, labeled CD, DVD, DTV and CBL/SAT. Your TV optical could connect to any of those four, but the most logical would be DTV and CBL/SAT. Yamaha usually allows you to configure which port is used for the TV audio, so when you press the TV scene button on the remote or AVR panel, it switches to your selected port. 

The last three digital inputs at the bottom of the stack are referred to as coaxial, which uses a standard RCA connector. It's an electrical connection, instead of the optical used in the other ports. Almost nothing uses coaxial anymore, as the industry has pretty well standardized on optical for digital audio connections.  

This is a pretty old AVR, since it pre-dates HDMI. I'm sure it still works well, as Yamaha AVRs seem to last a long time. But because of the lack of HDMI ports, you have no ability to hear the best audio codecs in use today. This includes the lossless codecs, such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio, the ones with height/ceiling speakers (Atmos, DTS:X), or even Dolby Digital Plus. And that last one is likely the problem. Most online streaming providers now use DD+ as the preferred 5.1 audio codec, and your TV can't pass it via optical or analog to an AVR for decoding. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Borise
Reel Rookie

Thanks everyone, your time and effort is appreciated. Yes I know the Yamaha is very old. I should replace it. It sits in a sectional home entertainment unit that would need to come apart. Then there is the hookups, phono, dvd, tv, direct tv, pre amp, cd player, ugh. When I get the courage i will make the change. In the meantime you guys having given me a new quest which I will tackle this week. I will keep you informed of my results.

0 Kudos
Borise
Reel Rookie

The saga has ended, success, finally. So I was going to use the optical connection from the tv to the receiver. But, the direct tv receiver is already using that connection. I tried the other three ports but still no sound through the house speakers. After a glass of whiskey I had a vision. The direct tv has an hdmi port. The tv has two more hdmi ports. Why don't I run the direct tv to the tv. That worked! The bonus is that I don't need to toggle the settings on the receiver to get sound for rohu and direct tv which were different. Thanks so much to all who helped me on this ordeal.

0 Kudos
wfdiver
Channel Surfer

You can’t do it with Roku sound bar and it’s speakers. It forces you to surround sound only. You can change the audio output on Netflix from 5.1 to 5.0 when you are watching the movie and audio will come out of the remote speakers. Just use the down button to get down to English without 5.1.

0 Kudos
Bontra
Channel Surfer

Differ user with similar question. This thread has given be an idea, but still not sure...

I have a stereo with Optical audio but without any HDMI ports, a Roku Ultra 4800, and an LG OLED55 C9.
Current connection path: Roku -> HDMI -> OLED -> Optical out -> Stereo optical in

Is there a converter box I can purchase that supports Roku remote volume for controlling stereo volume?
Stereo has optical audio input, but no HDMI.
Considering purchasing one of these if this is possible
Do these devices (or any others) send a volume adjusted signal via the optical to the stereo?

Would the connection paths be like this?
Roku -> newBox -> Optical -> Stereo
Roku -> newBox -> HDMI -> LG

Thanks

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Bontra no, there's no way to control the audio over an optical cable. CEC requires an HDMI connection for enable such control. 

As to your question about any possible way to control it, all I can think of is a universal IR remote that has the codes for both your Roku and the receiver controlling the audio. Just remember that IR requires the remote to have a clear line of sight to all devices that are to be controlled. Other than that, you'd need to replace the receiver with something that has HDMI. 

Dan

0 Kudos
MurMur2
Channel Surfer

Re: Playing audio through home stereo system with cable box

I have been reading this post and might need some hand holding.

Would someone be able to do this with me?

I have an older Panasonic TV that does have 2 hdmi ports - HDMI 2 is labeled ARC

I have a Spectrum Cable box that attaches to my HDMI port 1 on my TV

I have a panasonic surround sound device that connects to HDMI 2

Everything works fine at this point

BUT cannot get surround sound when I add the Roku express device

0 Kudos
atc98092

@MurMur2 could you provide some additional details? Since the TV only has two HDMI ports, what does the Roku connect to? You mention ARC. Are you using that to feed the TV audio to a separate audio device, such as an AVR or sound bar? I realize you mentioned a Panasonic sound device. Just wondering exactly what it is. What channels are you using on the Roku that you are expecting 5.1 audio? 

Dan

0 Kudos
MurMur2
Channel Surfer

Because the TV has only 2 HDMI ports I bought a HDMI Switch that I plugged into HDMI 1

On the switch I plugged the HDMI cable from the Spectrum cable box and the Roku HDMI cable

HDMI 2 labeled "ARC" is were I plugged the HDMI cable from the surround sound-Panasonic Blu-ray Disk Home theater Sound System SC-BTT270

The TV is also a Panasonic 1080 50' Plasma HD TV - TCP50U50

I do not know anything about settings on the TV or the sound system or the Roku

AND do I really need 4 remotes

0 Kudos
MurMur2
Channel Surfer

I don't think 5.1 audio is possible on my gadgets

0 Kudos