Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newslane
Reel Rookie

Playing Tidal Dolby Atmos through an Amazon Firestick and Roku TV

Hi...I have an Amazon Firestick that I am using to play Tidal tracks in Dolby ATMOS.  The Firestick is plugged into my AVR. 

I was using a non-Roku TV, and all worked fine.  My son gave me a larger Roku TV, and I can't get Tidal to play tracks in ATMOS - they are all in stereo. 

When I play the Firestick AMTOS test file, it plays fine in ATMOS through the Roku TV.  Any suggestions of how to address this would be appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Playing Tidal Dolby Atmos through an Amazon Firestick and Roku TV

I'm confused.  Are you saying that the Firestick is still connected to the AVR and changing the TV the AVR is connected to changes whether or not you get ATMOS?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
newslane
Reel Rookie

That's exactly what I am saying.

I also wrote to Tidal, and this is how they responded:

"Thank you for reaching out to TIDAL Support.  It's important to note that Roku TVs do not support Dolby Atmos, which is likely the reason why you're experiencing stereo playback instead of Dolby Atmos. While the Firestick itself supports Dolby Atmos, the TV it's connected to must also support this audio format to enjoy Dolby Atmos content."

So I might have my answer right there, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

That doesn't make sense to me, but I'm no audiophile.  I thought the whole purpose of connecting directly to an AVR was to provide support for formats that the TV doesn't support.

Shouldn't you be able to connect the Firestick to the AVR and use it without the AVR even being connected to a TV (if you can navigate blindly to the app)?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos