Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgilvey
Reel Rookie

Old "Standard" TV Connectivity

Greetings! 

I have a TV in my refrigerator! Or, I have a TV that came with it's own refrigerator. It was made by LG. The TV is an older Standard type. I can't replace the TV with a newer digital version. To date, I've been using some kind of converter box I got from Verizon to watch cable TV. I'm canceling my TV service with them and want to find out how I can get the Roku to display on this older TV. I'm told that the cable coming out of the wall is both TV and Internet. However, I do have a Router in the basement for Wifi. Is there any way I can get this to talk to this TV? 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Old "Standard" TV Connectivity

If the TV has the Red/White/Yellow RCA connections you can use those with an HDMI-to-RCA converter.  Sometimes TVs have a small plug that you'd connect a cable that has the 3 RCA connections at the end.  Does the cable you're using now plug into the TV or somewhere on the back of the refrigerator?  It seems like a cable going into a TV on a door that opens and closes would just be a mess.

I also just came across an HDMI-to-RF converter (I didn't even know these things existed).  You'd connect the Roku to that and then take its output and connect it to the same cable connection you're using now and keep the TV on channel 3.  I have no idea how well it would work, but here's an example of one:

https://www.amazon.com/Modulator-Converter-Demodulator-Digital-Adapter/dp/B09CN9YMTK/

Obviously I have no experience with it since I just found out about it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mgilvey
Reel Rookie

I can't figure out how to add a photo from my desktop. I took a photo of the connection. The fridge has a little box at the top that has R/W/Y connectors and a RF connector.

0 Kudos
mgilvey
Reel Rookie

So, if I have this strait, with the product you found, I could plug one end of an HDMI cord into the Roku, the other end into the converter box, and plug the TV into the converter, or plug the cable into the converter, or will the Roku receive over Wifi and I plug the TV into the converter and don't need the cable? 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

It would go Roku to converter box and then converter box to TV.  The Wi-Fi connection to the Roku has nothing to do with the connection to the TV.  The Roku receives its video streams from the Internet via Wi-Fi (or wired Ethernet if you get a model that supports that like the Ultra) and then would normally get that video to the TV through an HDMI cable.  You need to add either an HDMI-to-RCA converter or HDMI-to-RF converter since your TV doesn't have an HDMI input.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos