Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brain831

New voice remote not pairing, please help

Brand new Ultra with a rechargeable remote, charged overnight. I press the pairing button and about 20 seconds later the pairing light flashes five times. Following the instructions I then press and hold the button again but nothing happens, until, after 20 seconds it flashes times again and then... Nothing.

I had an old voice remote (with removable batteries) that easily paired. So I used it to get into the settings menu to add a new remote and that didn't find the new one either. Funny thing, though, even though the new remote didn't pair I could still use the left and right buttons, but the up and down buttons didn't work.

Help please!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New voice remote not pairing, please help

@brain831, where did you see these instructions to press the pairing button multiple times?  Have you seen the following?

How to set up your Roku® voice remote | Official Roku Support

My preferred method for pairing a remote is:

• Unplug the power from the Roku device
  • Press and hold the pairing button until the light starts flashing
  • Set the remote down next to the Roku device
  • Plug in the power to the Roku device
  • Don't touch anything until the pairing process has finished

It's never failed me.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

Those instructions were on the Roku support page.

What has worked for you is not working for me.

0 Kudos

And yes, I have seen that page. 

BTW -- The original post on this thread was by me, on Reddit! I can't believe Roku support scrapes Reddit for content. I had no idea this had happened until I came to this support community and searched.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@brain831, I'm sorry it didn't work for you.  Like I said, it's never failed me.  There's always the possibility of a faulty remote.  I think if you read the instructions again you'll see that it say press the button until the light flashes and then release the button.  Nowhere does it say to press the button twice.

Roku doesn't scrape reddit; spambots do.  We try to remove them when we see them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Thanks. I contacted Roku chat support and they are sending me a new remote. So all good in the end I hope.

Gotta love spam bots. 🥴

0 Kudos