Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dharg1

Moving my Roku from one TV to another

Jump to solution

I am upgrading my existing TV to a new one.  What do I need to do to be able to use my ROKU on my new TV?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Moving my Roku from one TV to another

Jump to solution

Just plug your HDMI wire from your Roku player into the HDMI port of your choosing on your new TV. It will auto detect the capabilities of your TV's HDMI port and set the display resolution to the highest quality possible.

If your new TV is a different brand than your old TV you need to go into the remote settings and program your Roku remote to control you new TV's power and volume so those buttons work properly.

View solution in original post

dharg1

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.  The TV is a different brand.  Next step is to figure out how to reprogram remote.  Is there a blog for that?

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Reprogramming the Roku remote to control your TV's power and volume is very simple. Just go into the "Settings" on the left side on the home screen and scroll until you see the Remote settings category. Navigate over until you see the option to setup remote to control your TV.

Make sure you have the volume up on your TV speakers because the Roku will play music when trying TV codes. The Roku will prompt you "do you hear music playing?" and "has the music stopped playing?" for example.

Once you have answered those it will be all setup, I've done this many times moving different Roku players to different TVs in my house and it takes me less than 30 seconds each time. You shouldn't have any issues, just follow the simple onscreen instructions.

5 REPLIES 5
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Just plug your HDMI wire from your Roku player into the HDMI port of your choosing on your new TV. It will auto detect the capabilities of your TV's HDMI port and set the display resolution to the highest quality possible.

If your new TV is a different brand than your old TV you need to go into the remote settings and program your Roku remote to control you new TV's power and volume so those buttons work properly.

dharg1

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.  The TV is a different brand.  Next step is to figure out how to reprogram remote.  Is there a blog for that?

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Reprogramming the Roku remote to control your TV's power and volume is very simple. Just go into the "Settings" on the left side on the home screen and scroll until you see the Remote settings category. Navigate over until you see the option to setup remote to control your TV.

Make sure you have the volume up on your TV speakers because the Roku will play music when trying TV codes. The Roku will prompt you "do you hear music playing?" and "has the music stopped playing?" for example.

Once you have answered those it will be all setup, I've done this many times moving different Roku players to different TVs in my house and it takes me less than 30 seconds each time. You shouldn't have any issues, just follow the simple onscreen instructions.

Jgraymn

Jump to solution

Therecarec2 HDMI PORTS. WHICH ONE SHOULD I USE? 

HDMI in 1 STB)

or

HDMI in 2 (DVI)

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Jgraymn, you should be able to use either one.  Once you connect it, use your TV's remote control to select the appropriate HDMI input.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.