Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rokname

Just want to put Roku on my computer

Jump to solution

I just want to put Roku on my windows 10 computer. I have a Roku TV set up and doing fine.

When I try to download Roku onto my computer, it tells me to enter the "Code." There are no instructions for how to find this "Code." I Googled and internet says to go to the TV and the Code will be in the "Player" section. I go to the Home page of my Roku TV and can find nothing that says "Player."

Can anybody tell me how, with already having a Roku TV up and working, I can now get it on my windows 10 computer as well?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Just want to put Roku on my computer

Jump to solution

@pnquance 

Thanks for the inquiry.

As @boogernose mentioned, you will only be able to watch The Roku Channel content on a PC or mobile device. You will not able to access all of the channels that are available on your Roku device through a Roku interface, you would need to use those services own apps or websites to stream their content on a non-Roku device. 

For more information about how to watch 'The Roku Channel' on your computer, visit our Support page here: What is The Roku® Channel?

If you are trying to use the screen mirroring feature with a supported Android or Windows device, you can see more information and help using the feature here: https://support.roku.com/article/208754928-how-do-i-use-screen-mirroring-with-my-android-or-windows-...

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Not sure just what you are trying to do? There is a Windows 10 app that lets you control your Roku, but it doesn't work and is no longer supported.

pnquance

Jump to solution

Re: Just want to put Roku on my computer:  I am trying to do the same thing.  Latest I've heard is that ROKU can be played on a PC or laptop, but that this capability is fairly new, and available, so far, mainly in the US.  Guessing it will improve further, with time.  I live in the US, and have an existing ROKU account that works fine on our TV, so OK on all that, but navigation on many web sites is a NIGHTMARE for me.  AND I'M A FORMER FACTORY COMPUTER TECHNICIAN, WHO BUILT HIS OWN WEB SITE!... much easier to navigate than several major corporation ones I've seen.  In this day and age of cyber-spam on steroids, even the simplest web search parameter statement often leads to an endless list of non-official sources, who all claim to do what you are looking for, but they usually end up being just a sales pitch.  In this case, an official ROKU site eventually shows up on the list, but my question almost always gets re-directed to instructions on how to MIRROR... which seems to mean to imitate what is already running in ROKU on the TV, and show the same thing on the PC.  That is NOT what I am trying to do.  Here's OUR goal:  When an otherwise decent program has an occasional foul word in the script, we would prefer that young ears in the house not hear it.  We have used closed captioning and mute, for now, but sometimes, I would like to, for example, catch an episode I missed, of a show my wife & I usually watch together, when I was busy and she got ahead.  She might be watching something else at the same time, in the living room, and it would be nice to catch up, via our office PC.  But the best I can find is:

Add the Roku to Your Windows PC or Android Device

Select the Devices charm and and select Project. Select “Add a wireless display” to begin adding the Roku. This will only work if you're using a modern Windows PC that includes Miracast-compatible hardware. You should see your Roku in the list of devices.  Jun 30, 2017

WHAT IS A "CHARM"?  AND HOW AND WHERE DO I FIND IT? I scoured ROKU's settings menu for it.  Granted, ours is not the latest ROKU box, and I had never previously heard of "Miracast".  Our PC WAS only recently upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10.

To their credit, ROKU DOES give good, clear instructions... the best I've seen in forever... on how to locate the asterisk(*) on the ROKU wand, and how to use it, to enter spoken commands.

I am unable to find an e-mail address for ROKU, only a phone number... which they are not answering right now, due to the Coronavirus situation!  The online help ROKU refers me to leads only to the navigation nightmares exemplified above.

Thanks for any input.  [personal information removed]

boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You can watch the Roku channel on a browser.

https://therokuchannel.roku.com/

You can watch Dog the Bounty Hunter.

What more could you possibly want?

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@pnquance 

Thanks for the inquiry.

As @boogernose mentioned, you will only be able to watch The Roku Channel content on a PC or mobile device. You will not able to access all of the channels that are available on your Roku device through a Roku interface, you would need to use those services own apps or websites to stream their content on a non-Roku device. 

For more information about how to watch 'The Roku Channel' on your computer, visit our Support page here: What is The Roku® Channel?

If you are trying to use the screen mirroring feature with a supported Android or Windows device, you can see more information and help using the feature here: https://support.roku.com/article/208754928-how-do-i-use-screen-mirroring-with-my-android-or-windows-...

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

Jump to solution

how do i suppose to know im trying to watch movies on roku but its not on tv its on a computer

0 Kudos
jarok333

Jump to solution

In response to the claim that the app was no longer working, that is not true.  App was working perfectly fine between both Rokus in my home (different models); clean reset my PC and now no longer have the app.  It was good to have in the background on my computer while doing not-so-important stuff and watching shows

0 Kudos
mfoley39
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It is absolutely ridiculous that my Roku account is so difficult to put on my computer.  My TV and my computer are both streaming devices.  Amazon and Netflix are automatic.  What the **bleep** is wrong with Roku?  Answers I get on line are out of date or simply don't work.  Do these people have anyone on the job at all?  I am still at the the point that I want to know if it can be done..  Morons. 

boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The question was answered. No of course you cant stream all channels

on your computer. What is complicated about that?

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
techhead51
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hey I just tried to play the Roku channel through a web browser on windows 10 and windows 7 and I get error message that The page could not load with a long string pointing to where the content is I don't have any issues with playing through google chrome on a amazon fire HD10 Or on both of my android phones through that Roku app I don't have any issues with logging into my account on the Roku Channel through the web browsers that just can't play the content I've tried this on 4 different computers I never installed The windows 10 Roku app on any of my 3 windows 10 computers Granted Each windows 10 computers does have flash player installed We're as the android devices don't I would like some feedback on this As I do have A Roku ultra device That doesn't have any problems I don't have any premium subscriptions on the Roku and I'm kind of glad I don't because if I couldn't accessed it through a web browser like it is done with Amazon's prime video This would be a real waste of time because I don't usually use the Roku device to watch stuff on And most of the time it's done through the web browser I do have multiple sources of free content Associated With the Roku player And through stand alone interface I like to get some feedback on this as to whether or not Roku is blocking the content

0 Kudos