Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimThode
Reel Rookie

Display will not stay on 720p, reverts back to Auto 1080p

On my Roku Express I go to Display Type and set it to 720p.  After I going back to the settings menu or view shows the Display Type setting reverts back to Auto 1080p.  I need the 720p to stay within my internet data limit.  

When I first installed the Roku this setting seemed to work with 720p using less then 1GB/hr.  Now it will not stay on 720p and uses about 2GB/hr.

How can I force it to stay on 720p?

Is my Roku Express defective?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Display will not stay on 720p, reverts back to Auto 1080p

When you set a resolution via Settings > Display type you come to a countdown screen with two choices:

• Yes, screen looks good
  • No, I will choose a different setting

The "No" option is highlighted by default. To keep the screen resolution you're currently trying, are you arrowing up to the "Yes" option and clicking on it before the timer runs out?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
JimThode
Reel Rookie

makaiguy
Yes, when I set the 720p (or 1080p) is comes up to the check screen and I press "Yes, screen looks good".

The problem is after it is set to manual 720p it reverts back to Auto 1080p after I leave the display type setting area.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@JimThode 

Adding to @makaiguy, also make sure that you are using a Roku default Screensaver and not using a 1080p Screensaver. (Settings/Theme/Screensavers) or disable it completely.

If both things we provided do not resolve your issue, then read through this thread/link fully and carefully for an alternative method.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
JimThode
Reel Rookie

I made sure the screensaver was set on default but did not see how to disable completely.

I went to 5X Home, Down, Left, 3X Up and disabled auto recovery. 

Powered down for a few minutes.

Made no difference with the "reverts back to Auto 1080p" issue. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@JimThode 

To disable Screensaver, go to Settings/Theme/Screensaver Start Time/Disable Screensaver.

Additionally, look in your TV settings (not the Roku), and see if you have control over the Display/Video Ratio (or similar language) over the TV video output or individual HDMI ports.

There is a reason that the Roku is overriding your manual settings.  If you have another TV, try setting the 720p setting on the Roku while connected to that TV and then return it to your problem TV. (Recently, I have seen some postings that some users are reporting similar behaviors with Vizio TVs, so certainly could be a firmware compatibility issue).

For what its worth, my main TV (although capable of 1080) is set to 720p because I like the picture better.   Original reason was similar to what you posted (I had a limited data plan with a young ISP who finally grew and now on 5000gb plan which is plenty for both work and play).   I really only switch to 1080 for hockey games.  Both my older and new Roku devices, though, do stay on the settings that I put them.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
JimThode
Reel Rookie

@AvsGunnar 

Thanks for the additional help/ideas,  I did disable the screen saver,

My TV is a Visio and that could be the issue.  I need to do some more testing and measuring actual data usage.  It is not always clear from the image only if it is running at 720p or 1080p.

0 Kudos