Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tbowers
Channel Surfer

Deciding whether to use Roku or just get a new tv

Jump to solution
  • I’ve never used Roku, am deciding whether to get a Roku stick or just get a new tv.

have a 2009 Sony smart tv. The only App I use is YouTube. But Youtube videos play for a short time, then stop and buffer endlessly (“Loading”).  

I’ve been advised that the TV is too old for YouTube to work, and that adding a Roku device will fix this. 

my option is to buy a new tv. I’ve found the same Sony but newer moder for $350. 

my questions:

1. Is it true that Roku device is all I need? 

2. is the hdmi port on my 2009 tv  going to work w current Roku?

3. for my simple needs, which Roku would be best? 

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Deciding whether to use Roku or just get a new tv

Jump to solution
  1. Yes, a Roku would be all you need to restore your ability to view YouTube
  2. A Roku player connects via HDMI. However, there were some early HD TVs that had HDMI jacks but only supported 1080i and 575p resolutions. Roku players do not support either of those resolutions. If your TV supports 720p and/or 1080p, then the Roku will work fine. You need to look up the specs for your specific model TV. Don't just base it on the year and brand, you need the model number. 
  3. I don't recommend the least expensive Roku, as the Express seems to have more than its share of problems with network connections. But every model above that one (Express 4K+, Premiere, Ultra, Streaming Stick), would work fine.

Chances are, once you see what is available on a Roku player, you might find something to watch in addition to YouTube. Don't get me wrong, I watch YT every day. But there's lots of other content available. Some is free with ads, some have a minimal cost, some might even be available through some other subscription you already have. For example, my AT&T cell phone account gives me HBO Max for free. My Comcast Internet plan (no TV services) gives me Peacock Premium (not their top tier plan) for free. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution
  1. Yes, a Roku would be all you need to restore your ability to view YouTube
  2. A Roku player connects via HDMI. However, there were some early HD TVs that had HDMI jacks but only supported 1080i and 575p resolutions. Roku players do not support either of those resolutions. If your TV supports 720p and/or 1080p, then the Roku will work fine. You need to look up the specs for your specific model TV. Don't just base it on the year and brand, you need the model number. 
  3. I don't recommend the least expensive Roku, as the Express seems to have more than its share of problems with network connections. But every model above that one (Express 4K+, Premiere, Ultra, Streaming Stick), would work fine.

Chances are, once you see what is available on a Roku player, you might find something to watch in addition to YouTube. Don't get me wrong, I watch YT every day. But there's lots of other content available. Some is free with ads, some have a minimal cost, some might even be available through some other subscription you already have. For example, my AT&T cell phone account gives me HBO Max for free. My Comcast Internet plan (no TV services) gives me Peacock Premium (not their top tier plan) for free. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Tbowers
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for this very helpful answer, Dan.  I’ll check on which hdmi input I’ve got, and if it looks right, get a Raku stick, not the cheapest one. I appreciate your careful attention to my questions.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have a 2010 Sony Smart TV (KDL-46EX700). Your 2009 should fully support 1080p video. I'm surprised your 2009 even still has usable apps. Mine has nothing but some no-name stuff left. I stopped using built-in after barely a year or two. Started using a WD streamer to get 5.1 audio to my receiver, then going to Roku.

0 Kudos