Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evc1861
Channel Surfer

Conflict between Roku and digital antenna

Initially my Roku was successfully installed but unable to get local channels.  General advise was to add an indoor antenna since the available streaming software in my area, like Spectrum runs about $200 a month.   My first effort resulted in my tv not recognizing the digital antenna.  By disconnnecting the Roku box, my digital antenna is now  working fine.   Unfortunately the Roku system is not recognized.   When trying to restore my Roku, my tv screen shows the Roku setup program but "freezes" on the second page , select a language.  Despite multiple efforts I am still unable to run both types of inputs on my tv.

My Roku unit is a Roku Express 4K, model 3941K.  My tv is a Vizio D55f-E2.  Using a standard Roku remote, voice activated, which the digital antenna/tv does not recognize while the GE digital antenna is hooked up.  Currently for my Vizio TV using the digital antenna I have a generic remote which the tv recognizes.

My PERSONAL opinion is that there is a conflict between the Roku OS downloaded to the TV and the digital anntenna OS.  I have been told that there is no way to "delete" the tvs connecting programs and reinstall the Roku system.   THOUGHT:  is there a Roku unit designed to accomodate a digital antenna?

I would gratefully accept any guidance since my wife has threaten to kill me if I don't get the tv working again and she also promises to do other  bad things to me.  Please help!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Conflict between Roku and digital antenna

Some basics: The only things that go through the inputs to your TV are audio and video.  No external devices are downloading an OS into the TV.  An antenna is a piece of metal.  It doesn’t have an OS.  (Some antennas come with a preamp that may or may not improve the results, but this is just an analog signal amplifier.)

I have 7 devices connected to one TV and they don’t affect each other in any way. 

One sort-of exception to this is that Roku does have a feature called 1-touch play that is meant to cause the TV to switch to the Roku input when a button is pressed on the Roku remote.  However, this seems to be a buggy in some circumstances and causes the Roku to be selected when other (non-Roku) remote buttons are pressed.  If that’s happening, try disabling it at: Settings > System > Control other devices > 1-touch play.

I’m assuming that you understand that your TV has multiple inputs that you can select.  I mean no disrespect by that, but some people seem to have no concept of that.  ie: some people connect a Roku, and if 1-touch-play is enabled, then the Roku automagically switches the TV to its input, and some people interpret this as something like: The Roku has become the TV.  But really, the other inputs are still there.  However, if the user never learned how to switch the input on the their TV, then they don’t know how to get to them.

Also, the Roku, being a small computer, can generate Radio Frequency Interference that can interfere with weak signals. (And if your antenna is inside a house, then the signals are weak.)  Separation is your friend here.  The best scenario is an outdoor antenna with a shielded coax cable connected to the TV, but even a few more feet of separation can help, and sometimes rotating one or both devices can make dramatic changes.

Also, you said the TV doesn’t recognize the antenna.  I’m not sure what you mean by “recognize” because it’s just a chunk of metal.  If you mean a channel scan didn’t turn up much, then that’s probably the RFI issue.  On the other hand, if you attach the antenna, and still see the Roku, then that sounds like you never selected the antenna input on the TV.  (Or you did, but the 1-touch play bug switched it back to Roku.)

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Evc1861
Channel Surfer

Hear what you are saying and my knowledge tells me  you are right.  My current experience is showing me something else.  My Roku streamer is completely disconnect from my tv set.  However the Roku setup program appears on my tv screen, responds to input on the first screen, displays the second setup screen (select language) and freezes.  If I have my Roku unit attached, the Roku settings program supposedly has a sub routine for "input" where you can select antenna.  My Roku settings program does not have it.  I have tried "discussing" this with on-line Roku help, but my Hindi is limited.  I have also considered acid in the airvents of my tv, but my wife stopped me..   I am using Roku Express 4K with a Vizio TV, model D55f-E2.  Have both the Roku controller and a generic Vizio controller.

The best way I can describe my problem is a system conflict in the input program.  But as we know, the tv doesn't have an input program.  I have even tried shutting everything down from my wifi to the tv but no luck.  I used to have a wooden hammer for this type of problem when the reel tapes or punch cards would stick, but I lost it.  If you have any simple connection procedures i could use, please let me know.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I’m not sure who you contacted, but Roku isn’t supported in any Hindi-speaking countries so it’s probably not them. 

I would think Vizio would be a much better choice anyway, since the TV selects inputs. 

Be careful googling phone numbers for support. Tech support scams are common.

Here’s a manual for that TV:

https://cdn.vizio.com/manuals/kb/dxxfexmanual.pdf

On page 14, it shows selecting inputs.  By default, the antenna input is labeled “TV”.  On page 32, it shows how to rename inputs.  (So you could have, for example, renamed HDMI-1 so that it shows a custom name like “Roku” instead.)

Page 33 shows where the CEC settings menu is.  Turning off CEC entirely would have a result similar to turning off 1-touch play on the Roku.

By the way, simply disconnecting and reconnecting a Roku should not cause it to ask you the language again.  It should remember stuff like that through disconnections from the TV and through power outages.

If you’re still seeing Roku screens on a non-Roku TV after disconnecting a Roku, my guess would be that you actually disconnected something else or have more than one Roku connected.  The fact that you are seeing a basic start-up screen (again) makes me lean towards having a second brand-new Roku connected.

0 Kudos
Evc1861
Channel Surfer

*#$@  I do have another Roku receiver on a second tv in the bedroom.  Do you really think that is the problem?  I will try ASAP.

PS Sixty+ years ago as I was struggling with tube replacements I swore these computer thingees would never catch on.  Now I just wait for the first really good EMP!

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

No I mean a Roku on the same TV.  Unless you have some HDMI distribution system.

Your last comment reminds me of the Twilight Zone Episode "Time Enough at Last".

Yep, I remember the TV failing, reading which were the most likely tubes, and pulling them out and putting them in a box.  Then we'd go to the drugstore where they had a tube tester.  Hopefully one would fail and we'd buy a replacement.  This seemed to happen quite frequently.

0 Kudos
Evc1861
Channel Surfer

Re: Conflict between Roku and digital antenna PART TWO

Problem Review:  Vizio tv; Roku 4 device; GE digital antenna.   Initially used Spectrum streaming service but had to cancel due to spiraling costs.  Changed to Roku.  Initially Roku worked fine, but missed local channels.  Reviewed streaming services but costs were too much.  Decided to add antenna based on neighbors advice/practice.

Current situation:  Digital antenna is working fine.  Roku device will not connect with digital antenna operating although the device lights up and indicates readiness to connect.  Will not recognize remote.  Disconnecting digital antenna and trying to install Roku doesn't work.  Setup screen appears but freezes.  

ANY suggestions gratefully appreciated.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I have a Roku connected to a Vizio TV that also has an antenna connected. No issues between either operation. An HDMI connected device has absolutely no method of interfering with the ATSC tuner in a TV. They are two completely different signal paths within the TV. If there truly is some kind of interaction between them, there's something faulty with the TV. There's simply no other way to say it. I have Samsung, LG and Vizio TVs (from more than ten years old to only a few months) in my home, all with a Roku player connected. There is no interaction between any of them. They all receive OTA broadcasts (I have more than 60 stations and their sub-channels in my reception area) and can switch inputs and use the Roku without an issue. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I think your summary now says: with antenna, the Roku doesn’t work.  Without antenna, the Roku doesn’t work. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.