Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rib201

Can I Use a Monitor instead of a TV

Jump to solution

I am Setting up a brand new Roku Express 4K+. Want to use an old ASUS Monitor.  Everything was working fine until I got to the step to Control the TV Power & Volume with the Roku Remote.  I cannot get past this screen...  Will the Roku work with a Monitor or am I forced to buy a new TV?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
remaker
Roku Guru

Re: Can I Use a Monitor instead of a TV

Jump to solution

The Roku should work fine on a monitor. 

Just go through that menu and say "the music did not stop playing" until it gets to the end of the list and throws up it hands and says "you can't control this TV with the remote."

Which you can't. That's the downside of using a monitor, no remote power or volume.

If the monitor does not have built in speakers or a speaker output, you will be limited to using remote audio on the Roku app or getting an HDMI audio extractor.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
remaker
Roku Guru

Re: Can I Use a Monitor instead of a TV

Jump to solution

The Roku should work fine on a monitor. 

Just go through that menu and say "the music did not stop playing" until it gets to the end of the list and throws up it hands and says "you can't control this TV with the remote."

Which you can't. That's the downside of using a monitor, no remote power or volume.

If the monitor does not have built in speakers or a speaker output, you will be limited to using remote audio on the Roku app or getting an HDMI audio extractor.