Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ragibbs
Reel Rookie

Streaming stick+ spontaneously factory resets

My Roku streaming stick+ spontaneously factory resets frequently when I turn off my TV (but not every time). It seems to be related to the amount of time that the TV is off, although this isn't consistant. This streaming stick is only 6 monts old.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming stick+ spontaneously factory resets

Is your Roku device powered by plugging it into a USB port on your television? The ports on many televisions only supply 0.5 amp or less, which is not enough to power a Roku reliably.  Also, many USB ports power down when you turn off the tv, requiring the Roku to boot back up when you turn the tv on.

It is recommended that you power your Roku device via the power adapter that came with it, plugged into your house power. If you no longer have the USB power adapter that came with your device, you may have another one handy from another device that can be used -- just make sure the tiny print on it confirms it has a 5 volt dc output of at least 1 amp.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
ragibbs
Reel Rookie

I can understand any of these things causing the streaming stick to reset, but this one's doing a factory reset -- I have to configure it from scratch when it does this.

Additional information: This device was previously not factory resetting at any time.  Then we were gone from home for extended periods (4+ weeks at a time) and when we came home, it exhibited this behavior.  Does this device have some kind of battery to maintain the configuration memory

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Sorry, I didn't catch the "factory" part.  No battery I know of, assume everything is stored in nvram. 

Haven't a clue, sorry.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ragibbs,

Thanks for your patience regarding this issue.

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. Could you please provide us the serial number of your Roku device from Settings> System > About? In addition, what troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue? 

Please let us know and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Thanks,

Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ragibbs
Reel Rookie

I'm listing the "system/about" for the roku streaming stick.

I have tried resetting (not factory resetting). The problem returns on the next long power off.

I've also plugged the USB into wall power and if I unplug that for a short period, it does not factory reset. However if I unplug it for several hours or overnight, it starts up factory reset just like when I first plugged the stick into the TV.

Model  3810X - Roku Streaming Stick+
Serial Number YH006Y849133
Software version 9.4.0 build 4210-50
Uptime 19 minutes
Roku support roku.com/support
Device ID 2130A6849133
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@ragibbs

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried plugging your device to the wall outlet and not unplugging the device when not in use? Is there a reason why you are unplugging the Roku device? Roku devices were intended to remain powered on at all times.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ragibbs
Reel Rookie

My device is currently plugged in to the wall.  The un-plugging was an experiment to see if it somehow survived power fail (similar to losing power in the house) where it didn't survive power fail when plugged in to the TV USB port.

I understand that the device is expecting to not be unplugged, but there is nothing I can do about power failures at the house, so it is unacceptable to FACTORY reset everytime it loses power.  Besides, previously I believe the fire stick did not ever factory reset across multiple power failures.

Besides the general house power-fail, I don't want that ugly cord hanging down the wall from my wall-mounted TV.  This would be the only wire hanging down.  I would like to move it back to the TV USB port when this problem is fixed.

It seems that the flash memory has developed a defect such that it can't remember the state of the "factory reset" indicator.

Thanks,

Richard

makaiguy

@ragibbs wrote:

I understand that the device is expecting to not be unplugged, but there is nothing I can do about power failures at the house, so it is unacceptable to FACTORY reset everytime it loses power. 

It seems that the flash memory has developed a defect such that it can't remember the state of the "factory reset" indicator.

I can only tell you that none of the 5 Roku products I have installed over the years have suffered from this -- they have always recovered from power failures and disconnections from power for several weeks when we've been on vacation, etc. without it causing a factory reset.

I used to have a Roku Streaming Stick (3600) plugged into the USB on the TV in a little used guest room.  Fortunately this port was rated for 1 amp output which is adequate to power the Roku reliably.  The port was one that shuts down when the TV is turned off, so the Roku would have to boot back up each time the TV was turned on.  This set could go weeks or months at a time between uses, and the Roku never failed to boot right up to my existing set up.  (The TV in there now doesn't put out enough current to run the Roku reliably, so the Roku now is plugged into house power. )

If yours doesn't retain settings when powered down for a while and needs to boot from scratch, it may well be a defective unit.

0 Kudos
HumanShield55
Reel Rookie

This issue is hitting me too.  Every couple of weeks, my brand new Roku Express 4k+ factory resets itself.  Is there any fix available?

If it helps, here is the info from System/About:

Model: 3941X

Serial number: X016004PU6KP

Software version: 10.5.0 - build 4167-CR

Device ID: S07P515PU6KP

0 Kudos