Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Roku support useless - device upgrades

@genrefans  you posted in the legacy products forum in a thread about replacing old players and your first post in this thread said you were already looking something else.  If you're actually trying to figure out what's wrong, someone who has an idea might have a better chance of seeing the question in a better titled/better located thread of your own.

As for warranties, I believe it's a year, though I have never tried it.  (The warranty is handled by a process on their website - not in the forum.)

0 Kudos
infodepository
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku support useless.................................................

I did get a detailed response...which I appreciate. But, most everything I stated in the above comment is still true.

After owning my Roku device for only a couple short years, it is now obsolete. My choices are to buy an expensive router/modem of my own, that Xfinity approves, in order to continue using my obsolete Roku device, or purchase a new Roku device. Xfinity will not provide modems that are adjustable to their lower tier internet customers. Nor will they change a modem's settings at a customer's request. And besides this, good luck getting hold of an Xfinity tech support person on the phone.

All big tech companies are BS anymore.

0 Kudos
infodepository
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku support useless - device upgrades

That link provides nothing for resolving the Roku problems many of us are complaining about here. But, thanks.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Roku support useless.................................................

I put myself and my parents on Xfinity a little over 5 years ago.  I followed the advice of the community experts on the Xfinity forum and bought my own modem/router.  It’s not just for the money savings (about $650 so far) but also for compatibility and control.  It’s not just Rokus that have issues but other streaming gizmos, doorbells, thermostats, crypto miners, security systems, locks, gaming systems etc.  (I don’t think you can even select your own DNS on some Xfinity routers.)

My parents on the other hand have been thinking pretty short-term since turning 90 and rented theirs.  Though in hindsight they would have obviously saved going the other way too. But I was happy to let them make their choice thinking I wouldn’t be responsible for a device that I hadn’t convinced them to buy.  (Hah! That didn’t work!)

Fortunately, their wi-fi needs are very modest (they don’t know about this streaming thingy) but I still have to go over and mess with their router when Xfinity knocks their printer off-line.

It is pretty amazing that people complain about contacting Xfinity too, in spite of the fact that the one-time purchase price of a Roku Express is about what a typical person pays Xfinity each week.

0 Kudos