Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregM
Streaming Star

Roku 3 stuck in continuous reboot

Jump to solution

This just started....

When I turn on the TV connected to my Roku 3, the Roku is in continuous reboot mode.

Is there any way to stop it and get it to play?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 3 stuck in continuous reboot

Jump to solution

@GregM 

Due to the age of the device, it may have reached end of life. However, a few things can be tried that may resolve it.

First, if there is a microSD card in the device, remove it. It is not needed. It only increases on-board storage, but those are often the first things to go bad in a Roku 3 or similar device, so not using them will sometimes fix the issue.

If that is not applicable, or is but doesn't resolve, then try a full factory reset. That's always a last resort, but you may be at that point. Press and hold the Reset button for a full 30 seconds. I say again, a full 30 seconds.

If that doesn't resolve it, perhaps others may have some suggestions, but given the model 4200 was discontinued in 2015 and the model 4230 was discontinued in 2016, it may be at end of life. Try other suggestions that others may make, but do be prepared to say your final goodbyes.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You probably connected the device directly to the USB port on your TV set.  That wouldn’t happen if connected through a wall outlet, nor a power strip.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
GregM
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Already use a wall outlet and HDMI port

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Tagging @RokuDanny-R@RokuMary-F and @Hector-Roku.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@GregM 

Due to the age of the device, it may have reached end of life. However, a few things can be tried that may resolve it.

First, if there is a microSD card in the device, remove it. It is not needed. It only increases on-board storage, but those are often the first things to go bad in a Roku 3 or similar device, so not using them will sometimes fix the issue.

If that is not applicable, or is but doesn't resolve, then try a full factory reset. That's always a last resort, but you may be at that point. Press and hold the Reset button for a full 30 seconds. I say again, a full 30 seconds.

If that doesn't resolve it, perhaps others may have some suggestions, but given the model 4200 was discontinued in 2015 and the model 4230 was discontinued in 2016, it may be at end of life. Try other suggestions that others may make, but do be prepared to say your final goodbyes.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

GregM
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

The paperclip in the reset hole worked.

Thank you

I did not know there is a reset hole until now.

Thanks again

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Many Roku device models have reset holes.  My Express+ 3910 has a reset hole on the back where the connections are.

~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos