Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArInBe

Check Connection after setting up wifi

I have a Roku streaming stick that works fine and plays any channel without buffering, however when I go to system, check connection it states "not connected to internet". Using my  phone and the speedtest app and fast.com, with phone placed next to the device, I am getting 380Mbps. I have 2 gigabit internet and a wifi mesh system that handles the incoming speed excellent throughout the house. On 2 other Roku devices in different rooms, I am getting 200+ Mbps on check connection. As I said, the device in question works fine and when I moved it closer to the main router, I still got "not connected to internet" but I can stream whatever I want on any streaming channel. I have reset the internet connection several times and checked for any unusual setting in the "secret menu". The only thing I haven't tried was a complete factory reset and if that's the only option, I'll throw the thing away and buy another. Any thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Check Connection after setting up wifi

My first thought is if it "works fine", why are you bothering to check the connection?  That "Not connected to the Internet" message isn't very accurate, as you've seen.  From what I can tell, it's unable to reach some Roku site that obviously isn't important for streaming.  Content blockers are sometimes to blame.  If everything's working, just ignore it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
6E616D65
Roku Guru

Re: Check Connection after setting up wifi

When you select "Check Connection" you disconnect from your AP then reconnect to the AP, then establish a new LAN connection, then a new internet connection. E.g., I usually see mine change to a different channel on the AP. The LAN IP address never changes because I have a DHCP reservation for each device. Yours may get a new address. Whatever, it's not telling you that you didn't have an internet connection at the time you were streaming just fine. It's telling you that it checked for an internet connection and failed between the time you dumped the connection (by selecting "Check Connection") and successfully established a new connection. A lot of things might cause this but it means nothing if it returns a channel number, an IP address, and a speed result. 

If it returns none of these, you may send it to me for recycling. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to searchpost your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.
Additional Resources
Check out our support articles for more content.