Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anitthhha

Can’t connect Roku XD Wired and wireless

I have a Roku that I am trying to connect to my tv and I cannot connect it to my home network with the Ethernet cable or the wireless network any help please

10 REPLIES 10
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t connect Roku XD Wired and wireless

I have to be honest, it's really not worth the effort.  It's no longer supported and won't run many (most?) of the current channels/apps.

That being said, I don't know why it won't connect via an Ethernet cable, but be aware that it only supports 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Anitthhha

Thanks for the post.

As @renojim mentioned, the Roku XD is a much older device that is no longer supported. However, we would be happy to see what we can do to help get you back up and running.

Please provide us with the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) and I'll have our support team reach out directly to assist you further. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
thelitterbox
Reel Rookie

I needed a Roku with RCA outputs and was able to get my hands on an XD.  When I try to set it up, I keep getting Code 011 errors on wireless  (tried two wi-fis).  When I switch to wired connection, I'm getting Code 001 message.  There's some screen that blips by about activation code, but it gets covered up with the Activation Issue message box to quickly to see what's on the screen.  Is there any way to get this box operational?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@thelitterbox

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the Roku XD is a device that is no longer supported.

For more information about those specific error codes, visit our Support pages here: 
Software not updating

Fix error code 011

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
thelitterbox
Reel Rookie

I already reviewed all of those support topics (and a few others) before posting.  No matter what I try, I can't get past the first 2 setup screens.  (There isn't an option to go to Home > Settings nor do I have access to any type of menu.)  It's an endless Try Again loop.  I even left the box on and wired into the network overnight in hopes that magic might happen, only to still be on the Try Again screen 2 days later.

As another post mentioned, I don't care if I have the latest software, I just need the box to work.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

If you really really must have composite out, I would suggest the last one they made – the Roku Express+ model 3910.  (Be warned you should specifically look for model 3910, because Roku reuses names and " Roku Express+" has been used on models with and without composite.)

The Roku XD is a first-generation device from 2010, whereas the 3910 is from 2017, so significantly less ancient.

You can also find HDMI to composite convertors, for use with recent Rokus, though buy from someone with a good return policy because they are kind of "hit or miss".

0 Kudos
atc98092

If you absolutely must still have analog connections, see if you can find a Roku Express+ (3910). That was the last model Roku that still had them, and it's still officially supported. Just be aware that even that player is now over four years old, and is lacking the power and memory of newer players. 

You could also attempt using an HDMI to analog converter box. Some users have had success using one, while others have had aspect ratio issues. It seems to be converter box specific, but I have no recommendations on one that is known to work.

And just in case you haven't looked, no one currently offers a streaming player with analog outputs that I can find. None of the major players, but there might be some off the wall Android box on the Internet that still has them. Displays with HDMI have been available for such a long time now that analog support is really dying out. You might still find a DVD or BD player with analog outputs, but one of those is unlikely to offer all of the apps you'd like to access. Netflix, YouTube, and maybe Prime Video are likely the only ones still available on devices like that. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
thelitterbox
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have 4 tvs with RCA inputs/no HDMI.  Fortunately, I've got TIVO boxes hooked up to two which provide access to some (but not all) streaming apps.  Wish I'd known about the HDMI/RCA converter before I got the XD box. I never expected it not to function at all.

0 Kudos
atc98092

The Roku XD was released Sep 2010, so it's over 11 years old. I have a couple of old Sony media players about the same age, and I had stopped using them years ago due to performance issues. And they were more capable that a Roku player of the same vintage. If the person/place you acquired the XD from was claiming it was more recent than that, they weren't being honest. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos