Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rf-developer
Reel Rookie

3x M2000 Display dead, and how to update?

I have many M2000 streamers and a few M1000's

3 of the M2000 streamers are dead, power supply seems working, but no display. I sold 1 brandnew M2000 Yesterday with old firmware. The lettertype looks clumsy but at least, the unit works very well.. Does anyone have an idea why 3 of my hardly used M2000's have a dead display?... Hardly used

And who agrees, Roku should remake the M2000 with new production? This player had advanced electronics built in. But with modernn embedded DSP, the whole streamer could be designed with just a few chips on a small board. I prefer this giant XXL streamer over any other modern one!!!!  It never gets old

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
samuel898
Reel Rookie

Re: 3x M2000 Display dead, and how to update?

@rf-developer wrote:

I have many M2000 streamers and a few M1000's

3 of the M2000 streamers are dead, power supply seems working, but no display. I sold 1 brandnew M2000 Yesterday with old firmware. The lettertype looks clumsy but at least, the unit works very well.. Does anyone have an idea why 3 of my hardly used M2000's have a dead display?... Hardly used my lowes life

And who agrees, Roku should remake the M2000 with new production? This player had advanced electronics built in. But with modernn embedded DSP, the whole streamer could be designed with just a few chips on a small board. I prefer this giant XXL streamer over any other modern one!!!!  It never gets old

Hello,

I’m also facing this issue with my M2000 streamers—three of them have dead displays despite the power supply working. Does anyone know why this might happen to barely used units? I agree that Roku should consider remaking the M2000 with modern tech, as its advanced electronics and design are still unmatched.

Best regards,

samuel898

0 Kudos
rf-developer
Reel Rookie

With 2 of 3 M2000s i noticed the display went dead when a Network setting was changed. 

I have the impression it is a bug.  Now I wonder, i have 3 other M2000 streamers, I guess there must be an EEPROM inside ? .. Could be an idea to copy the EEPROM from the uncorrupted M2000 and load it in the defective ones, to see if that solves the issue ... 

0 Kudos
rf-developer
Reel Rookie

Well well what have we here, a look inside the M1000.  Looking at this im pretty convinced the EEPROM trick could work 

PDF : https://www.all-electronics.de/wp-content/uploads/migrated/article-pdf/75792/ei06-09-083.pdf

Whats also interesting for a later read https://mind.work/2021/01/18/rescue-of-the-soundbridge-m1001/

0 Kudos
cfourrou
Binge Watcher

on the dead ones, I'm wondering if it's just the display itself.
Do they still attempt to get a DHCP IP address with an ethernet cable plugged in?

I just found a brand new in box M2000 to add to my collection. Beautiful unit but it has older firmware version. My first M2000. I have many M1001's, a couple of M1000's and a M500.
The older units tend to get dim one horizontal line at a time. It seems uneven. But I have yet to loose a display.

I also have 3 R1000's. 1 sounds horrible. Like blown speakers. But it was 3.0.44. So I swapped parts with a good sounding version 2 firmware unit. it worked well for a while but then the display went blank. This was a power supply issue. On the R1000's the input is AC with an internal DC transformer. Good thing I have that parts donor unit.

You probably know this, but the power supply for a M1000/M1001/M500 will not work on a M2000.
M2000 requires 24VDC and the M1001's are 5VDC

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to searchpost your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.
Additional Resources
Check out our support articles for more content.