Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shyman
Reel Rookie

problem roku Direct Publisher documents 2019 , missing ,unclear

new document 2019  link is here .

https://developer.roku.com/en-gb/docs/specs/direct-publisher-feed-specs/json-dp-spec.md

some different from old document ( that removed from github)

====

catagoriescatagories

order missing?order missing?

=====

x4.PNG

Why required ?Why required ?

some properties , why required ? old feed document wrote that  optional . 

I test new 2019 version feed with no those properties , it passed preview feed validation! .

=====

Hope admin rewrite document for anyone in future. thank you all.

6 REPLIES 6
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: problem roku Direct Publisher documents 2019 , missing ,unclear

I've already written to Roku Partner Success about a previous problem with the Json Spec document.  They corrected it in about a week.

I agree with your concerns and have requested the Partner Success review your concerns as they do seem valid.  I'll reply when I hear back.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Roku Partner Success has indicated that some of the documentation issues have been addressed.  Their initial reply:

Finally getting back to you. I apologize for the wait time! 

Answer to question 2.:

Captions required only for content that has been broadcast in the USA, but this is required by the US Government not Roku. Trick Play files, nice to have, we don't require those yet, and Ad Breaks are if you have midroll ads and want to control when they appear so you don't arbitrarily interrupt content. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

I indicated to them that the reply was incomplete because they had not explained the changed requirement for Captions, Trick Play and Ad Breaks.  They replied:

Thank you for following up because your clarification helped us pinpoint the missing information. Our writer has added the enum values back in, you should see the change in roughly 5 minutes. 

No, these are not required at the moment, except in the instances I mentioned. I will see about getting this section clarified as well. 

Thanks, again, for pointing these issues out as missed or incorrect items. You are helping make our docs better.

Admittedly, this is not an entirely clear response from them.  Hopefully, they will clean up the documentation further to remove the confusion.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Be advised.  I have found more problems with the JSON spec document and have reported them to Roku.  One of the problems involves the renaming of a feed file field.  I don't know if that will break existing feed files.

0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

@Baradanikto wrote:

Roku Partner Success has indicated that some of the documentation issues have been addressed.  Their initial reply:

Finally getting back to you. I apologize for the wait time! 

Answer to question 2.:

Captions required only for content that has been broadcast in the USA, but this is required by the US Government not Roku. Trick Play files, nice to have, we don't require those yet, and Ad Breaks are if you have midroll ads and want to control when they appear so you don't arbitrarily interrupt content. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

I indicated to them that the reply was incomplete because they had not explained the changed requirement for Captions, Trick Play and Ad Breaks.  They replied:

Thank you for following up because your clarification helped us pinpoint the missing information. Our writer has added the enum values back in, you should see the change in roughly 5 minutes. 

No, these are not required at the moment, except in the instances I mentioned. I will see about getting this section clarified as well. 

Thanks, again, for pointing these issues out as missed or incorrect items. You are helping make our docs better.

Admittedly, this is not an entirely clear response from them.  Hopefully, they will clean up the documentation further to remove the confusion.

Does this mean we all have to add closed captioning if we are inthe USA? Or we do not? I'm confused..

http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@mitchstein 

"I'm confused"...

Welcome to the world of Roku support.  I wish I had a better answer.

0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

Roku should have at least 1 person from tech support assigned to these forums... It would just make sense.. Guess they are getting too big for us little guys who got them here..

http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos