Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RedRoad
Streaming Star

Video Hosting Recommendations

I started a 30-day trial with Vimeo and uploaded 20 videos. When it is up, it is great. However, it went down two times during my trial. Should I pay to continue with Vimeo and risk it or is there a better option out there? Who would you recommend? 

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Video Hosting Recommendations

I use Amazon S3 with CloudFront.  I've never had a problem with access or up time.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
RedRoad
Streaming Star

@Baradanikto Is there somewhere that tells how to set this up? I have used Amazon S3 for video hosting before but it wants me to create stacks and stuff and I don't know what it means?

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Who wants you to create a stack?

To use S3 with Roku, simply create an S3 bucket, upload your feed file to it, and tell the developers portal where to find the feed file (URL).

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

In fairness to VImeo I've been with them since 2017 & never had a problem I don't think until recently. I can understand your concern, although, if you're currently up & running you 'might' be a-ok going forward.

Otherwise typically Amazon S3 & someone tried pcloud, mentioned it was easy & cheap. (to me I'm a bit concerned $100/yr unlimited is too cheap, and there's some clauses or something to exceed). For 20 channels & a new channel could be good. I'm not sure if Brightcove works, you can try searching the forums.

0 Kudos
biztale
Streaming Star

I use PrimCast as my videohost, it take a little time to get approved and the video manager is run by Kaltura Community Edition server.

To Join https://www.primcast.com/hosting/

Now I have covered this in a different post, but in order for the .json, .rss, or xml to ingest you will need a static website. You can get a free one from github Easy step, login or create an account. Create a Repository if you have not already done so, and then click the gear at the top and at the bottom enable Github Pages and choose a theme and hit save.. All you need is a .md file and this will be the page people see when visiting.

How simple is up to you, the page is generated by a format called Jekyl themes which I am still learning about. Last, I implore make life easy and just download the Json Feed Manager or MRSS feed Manager. Trust me when i say, he really did all the work to make managing and creating a feed a miracle.

https://github.com/rrirower

UPDATE : Primcast is in server maintenance move, some features will be unavailable at this time. This notice came down while in support chat on my trouble ticket.

Tags (1)
moddev
Reel Rookie

We are running dozens of channels through Streamhoster:

https://streamhoster.com/pricing/

- Supports Roku Direct Publisher directly alone with MRSS and other feed types.

- Can combine VOD and live streams in feed

- Adaptive streaming for all content and great performance for domestic and international viewers

- We have experienced consistent reliability and performance for years. Support is very responsive.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
NakiaT

How much is Amazon and what is your channel?

0 Kudos
genepensiero
Roku Guru

We use DreamObjects from DreamHost. It functions like Amazon S3. Been very happy with it for years.

https://www.dreamhost.com/cloud/storage/ 

Super affordable.

0 Kudos

www.rhebus.works. I own and run the company and we provide exactly what you need. We are currently running 10 channels with 3 more being developed as we speak. Your videos would be available for Roku and other platforms immediately. 

There is no upfront cost. 

If interested, please get in touch. Sean@Rhebus.works.

Good luck!

0 Kudos