Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newchannel
Roku Guru

Re: Series/Episode categorization with the RDP-To-Scenegraph example

Got the Live TV category working. But, how do you move the categories around? Let's say for example I want Live TV to be the first row and Movies to be the second row. What controls the order of the rows?

Thank you.

http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

The 500 kb feed limit.... I'm now wondering if this will be a problem. If yes, then I read Roku SDK needs to be used and not the rdp to scenegraph example. Guess I'll look for an sdk example to review.

Also, "series" shows up first and not sure how to move it further down. I can make new categories but can't put them in the right order I want.

Can anyone provide info on these 2 thoughts?

0 Kudos
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

Try changing the dates on the items instead of trying to move them in the feed!

OnDemandTV
admin@ondemandtvnetworks.com
0 Kudos
phlume
Streaming Star

I've tried updating the position in the feed, changing the dates (releaseDate and dateAdded), and even updating the content ID so it would sort numerically, but nothing seems to work for me for the sort position. 

As for the 500kb limit... I have 380 videos on my channel and the JSON feed is 410kb... I'm.not sure what happens with more than 500, but that is a TON of content.

0 Kudos
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

Hey I dont know whats in your feed but if you have category tags at the bottom of your feed they would control whats being parsed! Example by item id number and postion of category listed!

If you send ur feed link i could look at it!

OnDemandTV
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

That is a lot of content fitting within the 500 kb parameter. I think I'll be okay on this then.

As for the json, it has category tags at the bottom and above that I have playlists. This is the original feed I used for DP before making too many changes to change over to the scenegraph example. 

I was able to setup a placeholder category titled "New" and added one video to test by making an addition in the RootHandler.brs and the "New" category displays on the tv. I didn't have to make a change in the DetailsViewLogic.brs for it to work. I guess it didn't require the change in the DetailsViewLogic.brs because it was a single video and not a series?

The top category displaying is "Series". I want to move this category down. 

In the current json at Line 1291 is where I have added the "New" placeholder test category. After that is the "Live TV" and after that is the "Movies" category.  "Series" in the json is at Line 2507. At the bottom of the json there are playlists, for example here is the code for one of the playlists from original json:

{
"name": "livetv",
"itemIds": [
"VTNlive",
"nrblive"
]
},

Below the playlists at the very bottom of my json are the category tags. For example:

"categories": [{
"name": "Featured",
"playlistName": "short-form",
"order": "manual"
},
{
"name": "Live TV",
"playlistName": "livetv",
},
{
"name": "New",
"playlistName": "new",
},

The point I'm trying to make I guess is to say that the order of the categories at the bottom of my json are not the same order on the tv.  "Series" shows first then the "shortFormVideos" (I'll be updating the name of this category in the json), then "New" then "Movies" then "Live TV". If the json feed has in this order

"New"

"Live TV"

"Movies"

Why doesn't this same order show on the tv which displays as:

"New"

"Movies"

"Live TV"

I have not tried doing anything with changing dates as yet. I'll be testing more on this. I've just recently begun working to test things. I can add new categories, just can't get them in the right order.

Thank you both for your input. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

If you are correctly using category tags and playlist then you should be using Playlist names with

item id's

"itemIds":["97784-22388-4286878","vt7LCaucEqe","97786-22390-4286880","JCHU0YEDdAK","97788-22392-4286882","97790-22394-4286884","97784-22388-4286878","97792-22396-4286888","97790-22394-4286884","97788-22392-4286882"

The postion of an item ID can change how its displayed!

OnDemandTV
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

The json worked perfectly for DP.  I was able to move videos in a category in what ever order I wanted using the ID's. And, I was able in DP with this same json to move each category up or down.

But, now "Series" is always first and when I add a new category it gets moved to a different placeholder than where I want it to go. Something somewhere in the code is putting series first because my json doesn't not have  "Series" set for the top row. 

0 Kudos
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

I understand and know, I even posted about it here and nobody has a solution But the category tags with playlist and item ids kinda work!

OnDemandTV
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

I'm looking back over my feed again. I have the ID's of the videos typed in the playlist that they are to go into and each category is assigned a playlistname. It seems the playlists are being ignored or overridden by what I have typed at the top of the feed where I have the list of all of the videos within a section ie: 

"shortFormVideos": [{

here would be all of those videos then 

another section called "New" etc

then down further playlistnames with video ID's

then cateogories with the playlistnames 

All videos in that shortformvideos section display on the tv even if I don't have all of those video ID's assigned to a playlistname. It's displaying all of the videos in the "shortformvideos" section

Going back over the json feed again and move some things around and make a few changes to see what happens. Plus, the tags beneath each video I'll check those as well and see what happens. Before I didnt have those tags set as being assigned to a playlist or category.

Sure is strange how this json worked perfectly in DP and not the example, so must be something in the main code of the example that won't just accept the url of the json with the category feed and addition to the roothandler and display everything the same as it did in DP......ugh 🙂

Thanks a ton.

0 Kudos