Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Sample Direct Publisher Feed

Alot of people seem to be having trouble with the json file when they're self hosting it. Without seeing it, or the url path, filename extension etc. it's difficult to troubleshoot. I always suggest trying myjson.com and pasting your feed in there. If that works, then you'll know its related to the way the json file is hosted or the url path etc
0 Kudos
UMRTV
Visitor

how do I get an ID for the TV Show? Does each episode need a different ID?
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"Pasnow" wrote:
I always suggest trying myjson.com and pasting your feed in there. If that works, then you'll know its related to the way the json file is hosted or the url path etc

Not necessarily. When you use myjson.com you're not uploading a file, but copying text from the clipboard into a web form, which myjson.com uses to create its own file with its own encoding/line endings, etc.

When you upload an actual file from your computer to a web host, then that's the file that will be hosted. If that file is not compatible with what Direct Publisher requires, the file may not work when hosted on your web server, but may appear to work when using myjson.com. DP seems to require UTF-8 encoding without a Byte Order Mark (BOM). If you try to upload a file that uses a different encoding, such as UTF-16, or a file that contains a UTF-8 BOM, then DP will reject it. Even though mysjon.com may accept the file, the real problem is with the file itself and the way it's encoded, and not with the web host.

For an example where this happened, see this thread: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=100756
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

"UMRTV" wrote:
how do I get an ID for the TV Show? Does each episode need a different ID?

That's just for your records. Just start with "000001" or something unique to go by.  If you have Series/Episodes probably something like "ShowSeinfeldS1E3" (For the show, season, and episode #)
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I'm writing some software to manage json feeds.  As part of my development, I tried to load the sample feed mentioned at the beginning of this post.  I got an exception in my code, because I defined the 'bitrate' to be an integer (like it says in the json feed specifications).  However, the value given in the sample is a float.  Either the spec is wrong, or, the sample is wrong.  Can someone  from Roku comment on this?
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos

The bitrate value is an integer not a float.  As you know, floats include decimal points which a bitrate value when presented in kbps would not. 
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Mediadisconnect,

Thanks for the reply.  However, I'm still a bit confused since the spec says that the field is an 'integer', but, the sample show it as '1328.0'.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos

When I view the bitrate element on the sample feed it shows 1328.  Maybe something on your end is changing the value but it is definitely an integer.  Good luck with your app.
0 Kudos
syedimam
Visitor

I have a Question: I have HLS Link that 24/7 playing my channels, Which I needs to make it available in Roku. when I am using this HLS link It do not accept. Wondeing if anyone know any example (much appreaciated) where we set instead of single movie file link can we use HLS link in URL Feed (JASON file) ... Please advice

Much Appreciated
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Just troubleshooting, how does it 'not accept'. Is it when you upload the json or does the video just never play. Is it just a generic error on the json feed upload?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.