Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awe
Reel Rookie

Roku Direct Publisher Video Loads But Won't Play

I posted the json file to a github page, https://github.com/dapperAuteur/dapperAuteur.github.io/blob/master/centenarian_fun_pilot.json

The channel that this points to loads on the Roku device. There should be one video but 3 show up on the channel and none of them work.

Is there something wrong with the json file?

Should I not use github pages to host the json file?

{
      "providerName": "Centenarian.Fun",
      "language": "en-us",
      "lastUpdated": "2021-04-13T18:12:32.125Z",
      "shortFormVideos": [{
          "id": "20210413_centenarian_fun_convo_wit_fred_harper",
          "title": "Centenarian.Fun Convo wit Fred Harper",
          "shortDescription": "aweful Conversations, a regular part of the Centenarian Fun morning show. I hope you enjoy this conversation with Fred Harper, a Developer Evangelist with over 20 years experience in the tech.",
          "longDescription": "aweful Conversations will become a regular part of the Centenarian Fun morning show. I hope you enjoy this conversation with Fred Harper. Fred's a Developer Evangelist with over 20 years experience in the tech industry. We talk about: cats, his is name Java, creating the world you want to exist, succession planning so that you may enjoy the world you create, MIAMI = Money Is Always A Major Issue (Pitbull gave us this Hip-Hop Axiom), 2 Bags, 3 Words for 2021",
          "thumbnail": "https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0540/4252/5874/articles/morning_show_convo_wit_fred_cover_905x.png?v=1619644996",
          "genres": ["comedy"],
          "tags": ["talk show", "morning show", "centenarian","centenarian fun"],
          "releaseDate": "2021-04-13",
          "content": {
              "dateAdded": "2021-04-13T14:14:54.431Z",
              "captions": [],
              "duration": 2191,
              "videos": [{
                  "url": "https://app.viloud.tv/hls/channel/c6a146f3bdb2f73571f61891e214e731.m3u8",
                  "quality": "HD",
                  "videoType": "MP4",
                  "bitrate": 1000
              }]
           }
       }],
      "categories": [{
            "name": "Most Popular",
            "playlistName": "misc",
            "order": "manual"
      },{
           "name": "Recentely Added",
      },{
           "name": "Blue Zone",
      },{
           "name": "Centenarian Fun",
      }]            
    }
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
awe
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Direct Publisher Video Loads But Won't Play

Thank you for your tips @AaronMSpelling .

It does open a json file that's hosted on a github page, it doesn't open a github page.

This is the feed url 

https://dapperauteur.github.io/centenarian_fun_pilot.json

It opens a json file.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Your feed file defines categories that are based on play lists.  But, you have no play list objects defined in your feed file.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
awe
Reel Rookie

How do I define a playlist in the feed file?

That's a screenshot of the playlist of videos that I'm trying to use on Roku. I'm using a tool called viloud that provides a mu38 file link.

It's supposed to work with Roku Direct Publisher.

bug.png

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Please refer to the Roku Json Schema document for that info.  The 'play list' object is defined in the feed file just like any other object.

Note, that you don't need a paid service to manage your feed file.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
tuckermediatv
Reel Rookie

Make sure the television and device you're trying to view it on supports the resolution of the video.  If you're trying to view a 1080 (FHD) video on a 720p TV, you'll experience similar symptoms.  What worked for me was to encode both 720p (HD) and a 1080p (FHD) version.  Roku will play the most suitable video.

0 Kudos