Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jzachary
Streaming Star

Quotes and Apostrophes in Feed Item Titles

What is the proper format for special characters in the channel feed? 

If i send "&#039" for example for an apostrophe, it shows up in the channel as "#039" instead of '

Not sure if there's an issue in my feed itself or how Roku implements it. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Quotes and Apostrophes in Feed Item Titles

Have you tried escaping the quote with \" ?

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
jzachary
Streaming Star

I thought you didnt need to escape apostrophes when using double quoted fields in Json.

The only way i've gotten to display correctly was to use smart quotes in my content management. That way the apostrophe isn't converted to the entity, seems odd that Roku wouldn't recognize the HTML entity. 

Having trouble figuring out if the issue is on my end of things or on the Roku side.

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Just curious, what is the specific issue you're encountering?  I too don't believe you have an issue with a single quote, or apostrophe, within ""''s/double quotes. Are you submitting it and Roku's returning an error?

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I took a closer look at my current Json feed file.  It indeed does contain apostrophes and quotes.  I checked my channel and all text looks correct.  This leads me to this question:  What are you using to edit/maintain your feed file?

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos