Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RedRoad
Streaming Star

Okay Vimeo sucks. What's next?

It  is clear that Vimeo is not a good hosting option. I switched at the worst time but it seems like they had a big issue last year. Amazon is what I had been using but it is too whacky on the charges. What is a good and RELIABLE option?

3 REPLIES 3
mosafer
Roku Guru

Re: Okay Vimeo sucks. What's next?

Use a CDN. You can pay what you use (or pre-pay and get discount). I'm using UCDN for almost 2 years. They are reliable and have a fast and good support. 

Baradanikto
Roku Guru

As @mosafer said, you should definitely consider a CDN (Content Delivery Network).  If you anticipate lots of concurrent access to your channel, a CDN will insure that the performance is optimum.  If you do not use a CDN, and, you have lots of access, you run the risk of constant buffering.  That's something your viewers will not like, and, will simply result in removal of your channel.

As far as a what to choose, that depends on your budget.  I've been using Amazon S3 with CloudFront and can't complain.  Sure the cost varies each month, but, it's based on the amount of access to your channel.  You'll find that is the case with most reliable CDNs.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
jzachary
Streaming Star

Good call on the UCDN. I just started using them. The ability to connect them to my server and cache and serve up HLS for videos is so simple to setup and use. 

0 Kudos