Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mitchstein
Roku Guru

Live stream

In the json file I see how to format movies, playlists, series, etc etc but I do not see a designation for a live stream. My HLS live stream works well when defined as a movie, but is there a special designation for a 24/7 streaming channel? How does the search engine know if there is not one?
http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
genepensiero
Roku Guru

Re: Live stream

this code for a live stream is working for us in our .json:

{
            "id": "calvarylivestream",
            "title": "Our Live Services",
            "shortDescription": "Sundays at 8:15am and 10:15am, Wednesdays at 7pm",
            "longDescription": "Sun. @ 8:15am(PST) and 10:15am(PST) Wed. @ 7pm(PST)",
            "thumbnail": "http://yourimageurl.jpg",
            "genres": [
                "faith",
                "educational"
            ],
            "tags": [
                "livestream"
            ],
            "releaseDate": "1985-05-05",
            "content": {
                "dateAdded": "1985-05-05T08:15:00+08:00",
                "captions": [

],
                "duration": 4500,
                "videos": [
                    {
                        "url": "http://yourlinktom3u8/playlist.m3u8",
                        "quality": "HD",
                        "videoType": "hls"
                    }
                ]
            }
        }
    ],
0 Kudos
RokuTomC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

We do not currently have a mediaType for live streams, but we have identified this as a potential feature addition in the future.

In the meantime, live videos will still play in a Direct Publisher channel, there will just be no designation within the channel UI that indicates that the stream is live. You could make mention of this in the content title or description, though
0 Kudos
jmatt0806
Channel Surfer

"RokuTomC" wrote:
We do not currently have a mediaType for live streams, but we have identified this as a potential feature addition in the future.

In the meantime, live videos will still play in a Direct Publisher channel, there will just be no designation within the channel UI that indicates that the stream is live. You could make mention of this in the content title or description, though

How can I handle a situation where the M3U8 stream isn't always running? Right now the Feed Status shows:
1 item has an error: Required video url is unreachable.
and the Channel closes as soon as I open it on Roku.
0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

"RokuTomC" wrote:

what should the "duration" be set at, I set it at 40 minutes only because, that was what I typed in. Will the demographics still function properly if someone watches for more then 40 minutes if that is what the duration is set for, AND, what is the proper code to add ads every 15 minutes for a 24/7 feed? Do I need to list an ad break every 15 minutes? or is there syntax that does it for me?
IE. "adbreaks": [00:15:00, 00:30:00, 00:45:00, 01:00:00, ............. to 48:45:00 ],
Is there a limit to the number of designated ad breaks in a single session, for instance, will the json file accept 1000 designations for ad breaks if not how many can be added? Some people sit for days on the streaming channel, I don't want them to get away with no ads after 10 hours, lol!!
0 Kudos
RokuTomC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

"mitchstein" wrote:
"RokuTomC" wrote:

what should the "duration" be set at, I set it at 40 minutes only because, that was what I typed in. Will the demographics still function properly if someone watches for more then 40 minutes if that is what the duration is set for, AND, what is the proper code to add ads every 15 minutes for a 24/7 feed? Do I need to list an ad break every 15 minutes? or is there syntax that does it for me?
IE. "adbreaks": [00:15:00, 00:30:00, 00:45:00, 01:00:00, ............. to 48:45:00 ],
Is there a limit to the number of designated ad breaks in a single session, for instance, will the json file accept 1000 designations for ad breaks if not how many can be added? Some people sit for days on the streaming channel, I don't want them to get away with no ads after 10 hours, lol!!

Mitchstein, there is no max duration for a piece of content, nor a max number of adBreaks permitted. I would suggest setting the duration to a ludicrously-large value, and setting adBreaks at regular intervals within that time frame.
Of course, the ad experience will be suboptimal, as you can't quite predict the true ad breaks of live content until they occur, but this should work for you as a short-term fix. I would suggest keeping an eye on our blog and developer newsletter so that you're notified once a live-optimized Direct Publisher feature is introduced and can convert your content
0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

"RokuTomC" wrote:
"mitchstein" wrote:
"RokuTomC" wrote:

Mitchstein, there is no max duration for a piece of content, nor a max number of adBreaks permitted. I would suggest setting the duration to a ludicrously-large value, and setting adBreaks at regular intervals within that time frame.
Of course, the ad experience will be suboptimal, as you can't quite predict the true ad breaks of live content until they occur, but this should work for you as a short-term fix. I would suggest keeping an eye on our blog and developer newsletter so that you're notified once a live-optimized Direct Publisher feature is introduced and can convert your content

The adbreaks do not work for the live feed at all, only displays before they start watching.. No biggie will wait till you guys get that feature forl ive channels to work properly. I'm struggling with the json file for the series. Also thinking about how to possibly update the channels with new videos without rewriting an entire json file from scratch each time. To be perfectly honest if the SDK sample player had the ads and demographics built into it, I'd be using that instead of DP.
0 Kudos
dtv
Visitor

JSON for Direct Publisher Passes but HLS doesn't play

Hello,

Hoping you can help us, we are using direct publisher with JSON for 24/7 HLS stream channel.

The stream works perfect here: http://devtools.web.roku.com/stream_tes ... index.html
This is the stream URL: http://roku.dittytv.com/smil:DittyTV.sm ... llist.m3u8

The Feed URL Status looks good and passes.

When we test on my local Roku, we see the splash, then goes to play vid, spin wheel for a couple seconds then a blank screen, no error?

Any help GREATLY Appreciated,

Ronnie Wright
rwright@dittytv.com
0 Kudos