Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

How to: Use BIF files with Direct Publisher

I have successfully "unlocked" the mystery of using .bif (Trickplay) files with Direct Publisher.  I wrote a Powershell script that creates the images and bif file(s) when given a video file as input.

Requirements

• Minimum Windows 7 x64

• Powershell 3.0 or higher.

Usage:

• Create a folder on your pc.

• Download JSON Feed Manager, creating bif files will be automated in the next release.

Please use this thread for any problems or discussions.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
mkammes
Roku Guru

Re: How to: Use BIF files with Direct Publisher

This is fantastic!

Not to complicate things, but a common tool (discovered via the SDK forum) is the free BIF Creator software: http://www.burningbushsoft.com/index-1.html .  I used this exclusively for SDK based channels and the BIF files worked great.  I'm finding they DON'T work for DP channels (which still puzzles me).

I mention this for other folks searching the forums, but ALSO if anyone knows why these BIF files no longer work with the DP channels.
0 Kudos
mkammes
Roku Guru

As an update:

1.  Roku apparently requires both an FHD and HD BIF file to show ANYTHING during RWD and FastFWD....at least with HLS files.  Once I defined FHD and HD BIF files, they showed up....but just defining one does not work.

2  BIF files created with BIF File Maker by Burning Bush software are OK .
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

To be clear, are you saying that the script did not produce files that work with HLS?
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
mkammes
Roku Guru

I ended up re-using the BIF files I created with BIF Video File Creator.  I didn't want to recreate all of the BIF files if I didn't have to. 

I only mentioned HLS as I'm not sure if the video file declaration in the JSON changes the way BIF files work....as HLS, by nature can be 1 of many quality streams (SD and HD), while, say, a single MP4 is stuck at the resolution it is. 

I more posted so folks searching the forums later would have a roadmap.
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Thanks for the clarification.  I will, however, change the script to process a folder of video files rather than just one file.  I'll post back when it's done.
0 Kudos
rahulasist
Visitor

using .bif (Trickplay) files with Direct Publisher. I wrote a Powershell script that creates the images and bif file(s) when given a video file as input. Requirements: Minimum Windows 7 x64; Powershell 3.0 or higher. Usage: Create a folder on your pc. [/color]
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I've updated the script to accept the name of a single video file, or, the path to a folder that contains multiple video files.  When invoking the script, make sure to pass the -verbose flag to see script output.  For example,

.\bifmaker "c:\temp" -verbose

will process the 'c:\temp' folder for all video files.
0 Kudos