Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feed URL Status - what causes errors

What causes the feed url status errors?  Sometimes all my items are ingested successfully and then other times I have different results with errors like "required video url is unreachable." I haven't done any edits to my channel or changes to my server files. When I check the urls in question causing the errors, they work fine for me.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Feed URL Status - what causes errors

Periodically I still get errors. Anyone experience this or know a solution.

For example "Video A" is ingested successfully and plays great on my channel. But then, on any given day, without any edits to my channel or server files, the "required video url" for "Video A" is unreachable. When I check the URL manually in my browser it is fine.

This inconsistently happens with random videos. Next day "Video A" is fine, but then "Video B" has an error.
0 Kudos
hotwebideas
Channel Surfer

I get this too and it is annoying. Anyone have a solution?
WordPress Interface to Manage Roku Direct Publisher
TVChannelPress.com
0 Kudos
WVBS
Reel Rookie

Started having this same issue yesterday. Generated new feed with only a couple of category changes and had several videos (not related to category changes) respond with the Roku Feed Status error: "Required video url is unreachable." This happened both through a Testing channel and a Live channel. I then re-uploaded the previously working JSON feed, but the errors remained on the same URLs. I even pushed a working feed that I had saved from months ago, and the error continued. The URLs that error on each of these feeds are the same set of videos, which are HLS URLs from Vimeo. I tested the HLS URL through a stream tester (https://developer.jwplayer.com/tools/stream-tester/), and they worked fine.
These URLs had not had any trouble until this episode. Has anyone seen a solution to this, is there a timeout issue within Roku when testing the streams?
0 Kudos

We typically have 3-4 false errors on every update. There is no rhyme or reason as to which will "fail". On the next update, same videos, there will be new "errors" and the old errors are gone.

We have just accepted it as normal behavior and not spent too much time worrying about it.
0 Kudos
WVBS
Reel Rookie

As a quick follow-up, we use the HLS URL provided by Vimeo for all of our videos. For the videos that the HLS resulted in error, we swapped it for the MP4 URLs also available from Vimeo. (Make sure to adjust the videoType parameter from HLS to MP4, too.) This isn't ideal, as we now have a mixture of HLS and MP4 references, without any rhyme or reason, and we lose the benefits of the HLS streaming. However, all of our videos are back up and functioning. I wish that Roku had a fallback URL that could be added, so that if the HLS stops responding the direct MP4 stream could stop any errors.