Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FoodChainTV
Visitor

ERROR: Unable to download from feedUrl.

I have been trying to get my old Roku channel converted into the new Direct Publisher Roku channel for a few months now, and I'm still hitting a wall at Unable to download from feedUrl.error. Hopefully someone here can help me.

I am hosting the JSON file on my server. I can access the URL when I put it into chrome or any other IE no problem. It's not HTTPS. My web host is Host Gator.  My videos are hosted in Vimeo Pro.

Here is what I'm seeing:

√ Properties / Updated
√ Feed URL / Updated
! Feed Status  Unable to download from feedUrl
√ Branding / Updated
√ Layout / Updated
√ Categories / Updated
√ Channel Store Info / Updated
√ Monetization / Updated
√ Support Information / Updated

I tried hosting the JSON feed in my Dropbox, but that did not work either. Got an error having to do with Roku expecting JSON but getting text instead. I don't know where else to host this JSON feed. And I'm assuming that this error does not pertain to the JSON feed itself, but of Roku not being able to get it from the server?

Can you you guys make a suggestion as to why I keep getting this error?  And how to fix it?
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11

Re: ERROR: Unable to download from feedUrl.

If you check your webserver logs you will find a bunch of 406 errros.  Web servers expect a useragent and other header info to be passed from the web client when a request is made. The Roku servers use http as a transport but don't pass the all header info so the server becomes suspicious and doesn't send.

Your URL can't be HTTPS either.

You may need to disable ModSecurity in your Apache setup on your WebHost to get past the errors. The following thread discusses all of these issues a little more clearly.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=99232[/url:3rccztr6]
0 Kudos
FoodChainTV
Visitor

"mediadisconnect" wrote:
If you check your webserver logs you will find a bunch of 406 errros.  Web servers expect a useragent and other header info to be passed from the web client when a request is made. The Roku servers use http as a transport but don't pass the all header info so the server becomes suspicious and doesn't send.

Your URL can't be HTTPS either.

You may need to disable ModSecurity in your Apache setup on your WebHost to get past the errors. The following thread discusses all of these issues a little more clearly.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=99232[/url:3pb9o9zk]

Hi, thank you for this. How would I disable ModSecurity on my server? I have no idea what that is.
0 Kudos

If your hosting provider gives you access to cPanel you will find it under Security -> ModSecurity.

If not, just call up your hosting provider and they will do it for you.
0 Kudos
FoodChainTV
Visitor

"mediadisconnect" wrote:
If your hosting provider gives you access to cPanel you will find it under Security -> ModSecurity.

If not, just call up your hosting provider and they will do it for you.

Ok, so this is the chat I just had with Tech Support at Host Gator:

8:35:24 PM
System
Steven B has joined the chat!
8:35:35 PM
Steven B
Thank you for contacting live support! My name is Steven, How can I help you today?
8:36:28 PM
ME:
Hi, I have a file on my account (your server) which needs to be accessed by Roku in order for my Roku channel to work. I get a certain URL access error on their end, and they told me that the solution is to disable modsecurity.
8:36:56 PM
ME:
I don't see an option in my Cpanel to do this. Can you guys disable modsecurity from your end?
8:37:00 PM
Steven B
what is the domain we are looking at?
8:37:16 PM
ME:
Well, the file resides in my [domain]
8:38:36 PM
Steven B
All of the modsec rules that are applied cannot be removed as they are set by our sysadmin for security purposes unfortunately
8:38:39 PM
ME:
Roku's servers need access to [......../json]
8:38:57 PM
ME:
So, then how are they going to be able to access that file?
8:39:10 PM
ME:
I can't serve it from anywhere else.
8:41:04 PM
ME:
I think they get a 406 error every time they try to access it.
8:42:41 PM
Steven B
one moment
8:42:48 PM
ME:
ok
8:46:25 PM
Steven B
Do you happen to have Roku Ip address, we are trying to determine if we can remove that modsec rule
8:47:26 PM
ME:
I don't. I'm not sure how I could get that since I don't work there. And I don't know if it's an IP that changes or is static.
8:49:02 PM
Steven B
we would need that ip address so we could run a log check and see why that modsec rule was implemented before we remove it
8:49:29 PM
ME:
Ok, so how would I get that?
8:49:52 PM
Steven B
Roku support should be able to provide you with that information
8:49:53 PM
ME:
And what if the IP changes?
8:50:28 PM
Steven B
we cant go off assumptions at this pont but if the ip is dynamic (which it should not) then they should have a reputable IP we can use
8:50:56 PM
ME:
Ok, I will contact Roku. thanks.

Dear Roku, if you're listening.... what's the IP address?  Thank you.
0 Kudos

HostGator is just being difficult. Have them look at your logs for 406 errors and tell them it needs to be fixed.

You can also try putting the following in your .htaccess file:

<IfModule mod_security.c>
SecFilterEngine Off
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

You MIGHT have better luck with HostGator disabling ModSecurity if you call them.

If neither of these work you might have to go with a service like myjson.com.
0 Kudos
FoodChainTV
Visitor

"mediadisconnect" wrote:
HostGator is just being difficult.  Have them look at your logs for 406 errors and tell them it needs to be fixed.

You can also try putting the following in your .htaccess file:

<IfModule mod_security.c>
  SecFilterEngine Off
  SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

You MIGHT have better luck with HostGator disabling ModSecurity if you call them.

If neither of these work you might have to go with a service like myjson.com.

Welp. That was easy. Just used myjson.com and the feed was accepted right away!  Question: Do I have to upload a different URL to Roku dashboard every time I update my JSON, then? (when using myjson.com)
0 Kudos

I am not sure. I've never had to use it as all of the hosting companies I have worked with have no issue disabling ModSecurity.

Others on here would know better.

Enjoy!
0 Kudos
FoodChainTV
Visitor

Hey, what hosting companies do you guys use that allow you to disable modsecurity?

I called Host Gator, put in a ticket, and they wouldn't do it. This is what they said:

Hello,

Apologies, unfortunately the rule your installation is hitting is a rule which we are unable to whitelist within our shared hosting packages. This is because the set of rules which this belongs to are among the highest security risk. As such, if you require this rule whitelisted you will need to move to a VPS or Dedicated solution where you will have greater control over the implemented mod security rules. You may review our offerings for these package types below. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns
0 Kudos

I use Bluehost for most of my projects. They give the option to disable in cPanel.
0 Kudos