Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmattcam
Streaming Star

Creating multi line video description with different fonts and text colors in Direct Publisher

I'm new to building a channel, trying to work with json.

Using Direct Publisher to build my first channel.

Things are going ok, but instead of the generic 1 line description above a selected video, is it possible to create a multi-level description with i.e. different fonts and even colors on different lines.  I've seen this on other Roku channels but not sure how to write that up in a json feed.

If anyone can provide a sample of how to do that (or information otherwise on if its possible and how I might go about doing this, I'd appreciate)

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Creating multi line video description with different fonts and text colors in Direct Publisher

Since Direct Publisher gets its channel definition from the feed file only, you are limited in what you can do.  You have two field values that you should be using. The 'shortDescription' field is the one liner you refer to.  The 'longDescription' field is a multi line description of the video. However, there is no construct in Json within DP to apply attributes to the text. Json is not HTML.

If you need more control over your channel appearance, you'll need to convert to an sdk channel and code in BrightScript.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Creating multi line video description with different fonts and text colors in Direct Publisher

I don't think this is doable. Direct Publisher is very templated. The channels you see it on are likely basic SDK/custom coded channels using like the default Grid layout (which looks similar to DP) with any kind of colored font etc.

0 Kudos
mmattcam
Streaming Star

Thanks for the responses--much appreciated

0 Kudos
mmattcam
Streaming Star

Any chance you could show me or link me too an example of using the short and long descriptions in the json feed?

I am not able to get these to appear onscreen so far, only get the short description in the pop up box that comes up if I hit the star button on remote.  Thanks for your assistance.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

The best place to look for that is the Direct Publisher Json feed schema.  If you've defined both fields (short and long descriptions), you should be able to see them.  The long description shows when you press "*".  However, I don't think it works the same way if you are defining a Series object.

Check your feed file to make sure you define both fields.  If you need additional help, please post your feed file.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Yeah, I think like Baradanikto said the Long Description only shows when a user presses *  (the asteriks)

I think its like a popup window or something. TBH its probably pretty rare people push it.

0 Kudos