Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WHmedia

Re: Creating a live streaming Roku channel for people who don't know HTML

Thanks for the replies y'all. This is what I don't understand though. Vimeo supposedly has integration as pictured below. 

My next question is can I use our youtube live broadcast for the roku channel?

I know some of this sounds silly or elementary, but this is my first foray into roku channels. I'm also one of a crew of two for a large church, and sifting through old posts is very time consuming. Thank you for your patience. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 10.17.21 AM.png

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Youtube doesn't work with Roku, I'm almost positive Youtube Live doesnt' work either. I would check into Dacast, I've used it & it works. You'll just use the .m3u8 link, which they can walk you thru. They have very good Sales & Tech support, and it's fairly easy. Also, they have an 'Event Package' where you get 1TB of streaming, which lasts for 1 year, for only $250, which should be plenty, should you need more you purchase more at a similar reasonable costs. (If you need to do the math it's like stream at 3mbps, x 60 seconds = 1 minute, x 60 minutes = 1 hour. Per user but still your likely dealing with a few GB per week.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

This appears to be a bug as indicated by several developer reports. At the moment, it's unclear who is at fault. You can wait for a resolution, or, you can switch to Amazon S3 or some other supported platform.

As for using YouTube, I think you would run afoul of Google's or Roku's terms of service (TOS).  Additionally, if memory serves me, YouTube encodes their videos during upload that make it difficult to stream on Roku. I had to re-encode videos from YouTube before streaming on Roku

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

And regarding Vimeo, it's just a glitch that started about a week ago. It 'should' work, but suddenly they had problems with Vimeo as a host, not sure if a Roku update caused it, or if Vimeo did something on the backend (change servers, url redirects etc) but something caused most Vimeo  hosted videos to no longer show. Possibly it'll get fixed by the weekend, possibly it'll be weeks. Welcome to the Forums!

0 Kudos