is the tool I am using. So why would this happen in 24 hours after no changes were made to the videos?
Note: I have had a working Roku channel for years using very old code, then converted it to the new layouts using Direct Publisher. The channel worked with an rss file, but was clumsy to maintain. (tons of manual handcoding) so then I switched to a JSON file, which was ingesting correctly until 2 days ago. Even though all the files were ingesting correctly, the channel itself only displayed about 30 of the videos. The 30 videos that are currently displayed and play in my channel show as "unreachable" in the Dashboard as indicated. Using https://rovidx.com/documents/getting-st ... ith-wpstv/ Rovidx Smart TV as a CMS for all these videos.
I asked Roku Customer Support for help, and they told me to come to the forum for help.
Channel: Go Live Sports Cast "All I've had today is, like, six gummy bears and some scotch."